Misc questions

Started by Bob, Carefree AZ, August 17, 2007, 07:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob, Carefree AZ

It took me a while to find out how to work this forum area. Hope this makes it through. This is my first time forum entry.
I've got a 6 rack digital SS smoker. My first project is curing some bacon, and will be smoked in about 7 days. I'll hot smoke it - one (5#) with a maple sugar cure, the other (5#) with bay leaves, pepper and garlic. I'll smoke them seperate in a fruit wood (maple sugar) and a hickory. Any comments appreciated.
General questions - Will this smoker do two turkeys at the same time? Or three? Will it do 3 breasts? I bought some non-stick jerky racks with smaller grates. Wouldn't I use these rather than the SS ones that come with the unit? Less sticking and easier clean up?
I've been smoking for many years. This is my first cold smoker. Living in Arizona deserts I don't know when I'll be able to cold smoke. I plan on doing some curing, brining, sausage and smoking - hot and cold.
Thanks in advance, Bob

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Bradley!  I have not used my Jerky racks yet, but other members on here have indicated that the non-stick coating does not last that long.  I have the original in SS so I can't answer your questions about how much your 6 rack will hold.  Others on here that have one should chime in before long.  Hope your Bacon project (and all others) go well.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Bob;
Welcome to the forum.

I have the OBS, so I can't answer your questions on the capacity of the 6 rack. Several of us smoke bellies. If you do a search you will find a lot of information. I'm smoking 12 pounds of bacon tomorrow. I divided them into three 4 pound sections. One maple cured, one brown sugar cured, and the third cured with raw honey and maple syrup. One section I'm going to attempt to triple smoke it (project that HCT posted). If you have any specific questions, there are many here that can provide the answers.

The rack that come with the Bradley are not stainless steel. They are made of some type of metal that is chrome plated.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

Welcome Bob,
I hate to say this as you may have different results but I tossed my jerky racks as the food stuck worse to them then they did the chrome.  After several uses the coating came of and they were worse. >:(  :-\ .  Someday when I get more cash, I'll purchase 2 more sets of chrome so I can do 12 racks of jerky at the same time (6 normal and 6 inverted).

I have not done a whole turkey in the DBS yet.  If they are small enough, I suspect you could get two or three 10 - 15 pounders in there depending on height.  3 racks in the number 2, 4 and 6 position will give you 3 shelves with about 7-1/2 inches of height.  If your birds are no higher than that, that will give ya 3 to chow.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Giz: congrats on passing the millenium, post wise.

As for the smoking projects, you guys must be pretty popular, cuz I can't think of any occassion where I'd need three turkeys right away.  All the same, gotta know that its workable....

Good luck on the adventure, Bob, and please post pictures.
Consiglieri

Gizmo

Thank You Consiglieri.  Wasn't hard hitting the number with all the questions I had in the beginning and now with all new folks out there.  It has been fun helping out all the newbies and thinking back about a year ago when I posted number 1.  And to think there are still so many things I haven't done.  Just gotta do some beef sticks soon.

Consiglieri

You know, with all that experience, what you need is a food critic to help you reach that next level.... One who can critique wine and beer too.  I know this guy up I5 (or I99 depending on your perspective) who might be able to help.  ;D
Consiglieri

Gizmo

Any time my friend, any time.  It really isn't all that far from San Diego right?

Consiglieri

Not really that far.  5 or 6 hours and I'm overdue for visiting family.  Just a "timing issue."  Kind of like that Harry Chapin song "Cat's in the Cradle."   :-\  Trying to balance all that responsibility stuff.  But it'll happen sooner than later.  There seems to be some good eggs on this site and I'd like to meet a few of these personalities and put a face to'em. 

In the mean time, smoke on!
Consiglieri

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum Bob

Lots of great advice, tips N tricks here from great folks. I use a OBS but have a DBS 4 & 6 rack that are still in the box  ;D so i cant answer that either. Like Giz i tossed my coated jerky racks and use different item for non stick. I do 30 pnds of jerky a month and invert my racks from 4 to 8.

Enjoy

nepas

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum, Bob.  Lots of good information and friendly folks here. Nice to have you joining us.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes