northern pike or wallleye

Started by najcan, October 17, 2004, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

najcan

i see lot's of westcoast recipes on salmon etc. and they look to be very taste. I live in northern alta and would like to know if anyone has any recipes on northern pike or walleye cold or hot smoked in the bradly   .                                          .................................... najcan

norm

Thunder Fish

As per the Bradley video on there site ,I use to do pearch & pickearl a similar way.In a large bowl layer with curing salt,course ganulated garlic,pepper and some dehydrated onion's(fine fresh chop will due).Put the fish in skin side down and repeat layer after layer.Let that sit in the fridge over night and your ready to go.
 I use to smoke with green birch and Diamond Willow,fantastic.Hope this helps as now I'm stuck with salmon and trout on the Westcoast[xx(].Sure could use a feed of pick's again[:p]
Terry

Fuzzybear

When anyone ever gets those Walleye recipies going, let me know!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!

KDX

Here's a recipe I posted on another thread. I've used it on Rainbows, Jack and Picks. (That's Pike and Walleye if you're not from Sask.) It is awesome.

2 pounds of corse salt
1 pound of brown sugar
2 tablespoons tenderquick
2 tablespoons Garlic powder
2 tablespoons of Onion powder
2 tablespoons crushed Bay leaves

Mix all ingredients in a container and add a little bit at a time to a blender and blend into a fine powder. Once you have your powder made you can prepare your fish the night before your gonna smoke. Use one tablespoon of cure per pound of fish. Sprinkle all over fish and roll around to coat all fish sufaces and leave overnight in the fridge in a covered container. Next day, rinse all fish off and dry with a clean towel. Leave on counter till peticle forms. Now your ready to smoke!

Ian

Good Afternoon Najcan & Fuzybear,
To the best of my knowledge, we don't usually see to much in the way of discussion regarding smoked Walleye and or Pike, due to fact there not an oily fish, hence they dry out. So if I was to undertake them at all I would I herb and spice them up after brining, and then mop them in a combination of fresh french tarragon, garlic sauteed in butter,periodically through the entire cooking process. Anyhow, the following comes to us by the way of a Captain Andy Emrisko out of Cleveland, Ohio. He refers to it as a Sugar-smoked Walleye:

Brine:
8 cups apple juice
3/4 cup canning or pickling salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 lbs., walleye(8 oz., each, 1/2 to 1 inch thick)
Glaze:
1/2 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon honey
In a 5 quart glass or plastic container, combine brine ingredients. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Add fillets to brine. Cover and refridgerate 12 hours or overnight.
Rinse with water, pat dry with paper towels. Arrange fillets on cooling racks. Air dry for 1 hour, or until fillets are shiney and dry.
Spray smoker racks with non-stick vegetable cooking spray. Arrange fillets on prepared racks, spacing them at least 1/2 inch apart.Smoke fillets until fish flakes easily with fork. In a 1 quart saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until mixture is hot and sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently. Brush glaze over fillets. Continue smoking for approx., 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until glaze is set. Store smoked fish, loosely wrapped, in refridgerator no longer than 2 weeks.
I have to say I've never tried this recipe but others from this publication which I have tried were quite good. Anyhow Bon-Appetite.[8D]

Ian (<b> GO STEELERS!!!!!!)</b>

Fuzzybear

Thanks Ian!  I'll have to try that one out...

Chattaroy, WA - USA!

najcan

Thanks fello smokers for your suport on my smoking piks and jack. I would like to mention a time about 50 or so years ago ( in northern sask canada) were i grew up in a log cabin were there was nothing but bush and lakes.What i'm getting at is my dad used to take my brother and me a few miles north to a lake called (Lac De siles)We called it Big island lake.We would get there in time to set up camp, spend the nite and catch a wack of pike and piks next day then go home . then my dad would marinate and smoke these jacks for about 16 to 20 hrs.From what i can rember from back then, other than awesome memories is he used to use alder and diamond willow. and his smoked jack was to die for.wish i could remember how he made them taste so damn'ed good.Anyway we all have memory's HUH.

norm

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by najcan</i>
<br />i see lot's of westcoast recipes on salmon etc. and they look to be very taste. I live in northern alta and would like to know if anyone has any recipes on northern pike or walleye cold or hot smoked in the bradly   .                                          .................................... najcan

norm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The cure/brine recipes offered in this thread look terrific.  If you're looking for an alternative, I've posted a brine recipe on the Cure forum that has worked great on salmon, steelhead, and bluefish.  It should go great with pike and walleye, too.  Whichever you choose, let us know how it turns out . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by najcan</i>
<br />i see lot's of westcoast recipes on salmon etc. and they look to be very taste. I live in northern alta and would like to know if anyone has any recipes on northern pike or walleye cold or hot smoked in the bradly   .                                          .................................... najcan

norm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

P.S.--I use either alder, oak, apple, or a combo of apple and cherry for most fish and it comes out great.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Fuzzybear

KDX...what is the purpose of tenderquick on fishies?  I'm not knocking it but I thought that stuff was for red meat...???

Chattaroy, WA - USA!

gcn11

Quote from: Fuzzybear on December 27, 2004, 07:12:46 PM
KDX...what is the purpose of tenderquick on fishies?  I'm not knocking it but I thought that stuff was for red meat...???

Chattaroy, WA - USA!

I use tenderquick on mine as well. Gives a little extra protection at low temp smoking and enhances the smoke flavor somewhat. Rather use TQ than copious amounts of salt. In short it doesn't hurt the finished product at all and I actually prefer it to coarse salt.