DiabetiSweet, has anybody ever used it in a rub?

Started by jfalls55, August 17, 2007, 07:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfalls55

Has anyone ever used DiabetiSweet brown sugar replacement in place of real brown sugar in a rub or marinade? I recently have to change my lifestyle somewhat and am looking for options. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Doc Waters

Haven't tried DiabetiSweet in anything, but I use Splenda (different substance- sucralose) in my sauces etc. Don't know if it would work in a rub though. When I use it I use half as much as you would sugar. The flavour is not as unique or rich as brown sugar, molasses, honey etc, but I figure it's better than nothing, and if there's enough flavour in the recipe from other ingredients it shouldn't matter - and, to date no one has ever noticed. Besides, once weened from sugar things taste better when they aren't quite as sweet. ;D

They also have a new brown sugar blend that they claim works in applications where you really need the characteristics of real brown sugar. Might want to check it out:

http://www.splenda.ca/en/tips/index_brown.asp

Doc

Doc Waters

Just did a quick search of the web. Some folks are using artificial sweeteners in rubs. Here's a recipe I found:

As one was on www.chef2chef.net. It's not credited, but I think this might be from the Low-Carb BBQ Book http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carb-Barbecue-Book-Recipes-Picnic/dp/159233055X

Classic Barbecue Rub

As the name suggests, this is rub that cries "classic barbecue"! A great combo with the Kansas City Barbecue Sauce, which follows, but use it with any sauce-and on any meat!

1/4 cup (60 milliliters) Splenda
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Combine everything, stir well, and store in a shaker. Sprinkle heavily over just about anything, but especially over pork ribs and chicken.

Makes just over 2/3 cup, or roughly 12 tablespoons

3 grams of carbohydrate with 1 gram of fiber, for a usable carb count of 2 grams; 1 gram protein.

----------------------

Hope that helps. I believe they use Splenda because they claim it is pretty much the only one that is "heat safe".

All the best with the new lifestyle!

Doc

Habanero Smoker

DiabetiSweet does not chemically change when exposed to high heat, and is mainly used for substituting sugar in baked goods. Its a good product.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Artmiester

Hey Doc,
My buddy and I are big guys like you and have been putting Splenda in everything we can. We've both been on Atkins for years doing a hard burn (reaching ketosis) and weaning off slowly back to very limited carbs. We noticed a while ago that the Splenda in packets will caramelize while the bagged stuff will not. Actually, it does to some degree but there seems to be a lot more filler in the bagged which looks like microscopic "popcorn". Great for baking but not for Q. Still, who wants to stand there and open 30-40 packets. Got to try DiabetiSweet if I can find it this weekend. Would really love the brown sugar taste instead of sneaking in a little molasses to help the Splenda. Hope they have it here. ??? ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Doc Waters

Quote from: Artmiester on August 24, 2007, 07:49:55 AM
Hey Doc,
My buddy and I are big guys like you and have been putting Splenda in everything we can. We've both been on Atkins for years doing a hard burn (reaching ketosis) and weaning off slowly back to very limited carbs. We noticed a while ago that the Splenda in packets will caramelize while the bagged stuff will not. Actually, it does to some degree but there seems to be a lot more filler in the bagged which looks like microscopic "popcorn". Great for baking but not for Q. Still, who wants to stand there and open 30-40 packets. Got to try DiabetiSweet if I can find it this weekend.

Hey, soul brothers!  ;D

Yah, for me it was 'get thin now, so I can enjoy my retirement later'. I have been low-carbing for several years. I do a hard burn for a year then go on a 'maintenance' for a year, then back on hard burn.

I was sad to see jfalls55 feeling bad 'cause he might have to give up BBQ. For me, BBQ & Grilling has been a lifesaver. With a few adjustments to my cooking style I've been able to lose weight, keep my blood sugar levels in check, my cholesterol dropped like a stone AND I eat like a king! All while feeling great and maintaining much of my carnivore lifestyle. 8)

QuoteWould really love the brown sugar taste instead of sneaking in a little molasses to help the Splenda. Hope they have it here. ??? ;D

That's funny - that's exactly what I do, too. I'm also going to give the DiabetiSweet Brown Sugar a try, if I can find it.

Thanks for the tip, Artmiester, on the packets caramelizing better than bulk. I usually always buy the bulk, but I've got a bunch of packets kicking around so might have to break into a few dozen!

Al the best,
Doc

Habanero Smoker

You can usually find DiabetiSweet in Walmart in the Pharmacy section with the other diabetes supplies. If you look at Splenda it is not calorie free. DiabetiSweet although the label will show calories it is sugar alcohol, which is not absorb in the body or raises you glucose level.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jfalls55

Thanks a lot for the info guys!. I'll pick some up Splenda and Diabeti-Sweet this weekend at wally-world. Maybe life with BBQ doesn't have to end.

Artmiester

This thread has already evolved into a two-fold project: not only a sugar replacement but we can experiment with different applications and get back here for updates. We're havin some fun now!  8) 8) 8)
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jfalls55 on August 24, 2007, 03:55:39 PM
Thanks a lot for the info guys!. I'll pick some up Splenda and Diabeti-Sweet this weekend at wally-world. Maybe life with BBQ doesn't have to end.

As I said earlier, I've had diabetes since 1999. There was no need for me to give up BBQ; I just needed to learn portion control.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jfalls55

Reply to HabaneroSmoker: After two weeks, it is getting better. I HAVE started getting used to smaller portions. I'm still in the transition phase as far as blood sugar levels go. Once I 'plateau off', I'll start re-introduce some of my old vices in a controlled manner (No more 'LifeFlight' trips for me! Once is enough!) and see what happens to the old glucose levels. I'm gonna try some of that rub above on skinless chicken thighs and legs this weekend.

Habanero Smoker

Glad to see you are getting control of your diet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MWS

May I suggest trying a natural sugar substitute called 'Stevia'.

http://www.stevia.com/

Stevia is an herb that has been used as a sweetener in South America for hundreds of years. I've read that people with blood sugar problems can benefit from this herb (as a sugar substitute) since it does not raise blood sugar levels. 

Also, ....Stevia is considered to be non-caloric.

Hope this helps....

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Artmiester

Hey Doc!
Wally-World was out of the brown DiabetiSweet but I managed to get the last box of white. Tryin' it this weekend in your rub posted above with a few minor adjustments. Interested to see if it caramelizes as well as the splenda. I'll get back to you on Sat. when it emerges. I ran a little test on it when drying some brown sugar in the oven and looks like it might work.
See ya,  ;D ;D
The Artmiester

jfalls55

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/Themes/default/images/post/thumbup.gif Artmiester, I was able to find mine in wally-world in the pharmacy, HBA, vitamins area. I made up Doc Waters rub above with the DiabetiSweet and used it on some skinless chicken thighs. They didn't turn out bad at all! I think they could use a little more salt taste. Has anybody tried out the dietetic salt in smoking? It's basically potassium Chloride (KCl). I don't know what the flavor would taste like in smoked meats. If anybody has any experience, I would really appreciate any info.