What meat for dog jerky?

Started by Junk Yard Dog, August 23, 2007, 03:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junk Yard Dog

If we have a contest for strangest question, I'll probably win.

I have been giving my two dogs "chicken strip jerky" for treats.  They are picky eaters but they love these.  Well, WalMart just had a recall on their chicken jerky (made in China) because it killed several dogs.  I looked at my brand, and sure enough, it said "Made in China".  I know one manufacturer sells to many brands, so I threw mine out.

Now, I want to make jerky for my dogs, knowing that the meat is OK.  But, I don't want to spend a ton on them. ... I mean, they're dogs after all.  Pork butts have a lot of fat in them, so that wouldn't be good.  Beef is generally expensive.  Chicken isn't cheap either, and I don't know how I would cut it.

What would you all recommend?  Any advice would be appreciated.
Gary in Texas

iceman

I know a guy up here in Alaska that makes it out of salmon. It sells national under the name of Yummie Chummies. Don't know if fish is available cheap to you or not but I make it into jerky strips after I grind it up then dry it in the smoker and the 4 legged boys love it.
If not, better find a market that has chicken on sale I guess. Bummer about the China thing.

Junk Yard Dog

Thanks, Iceman.  Since I'm in Texas, making jerky out of Salmon would be close to making it out of lobster.  I'm going to Allied Kenco today, and I'll see what they recommend.  Thanks.
Gary in Texas

Kell

I've done lamb jerky but it's not cheap.  Had to since he's on a food trial.  Do you only do jerky for your dogs as treats?  I dehydrate sweet potato or sweet yams and he loves it.

What brand is the chicken jerky that Walmart is recalling?  The last time I was there, I saw a bag of chicken jerky that is also carried by Costco.  I hope that wasn't it.

Junk Yard Dog

I don't know the name of WalMart's brand, but it's made in China.  My brand was different, but it was Made in China also.  Remember a year or so ago when an ingredient in canned dog food was toxic?  It affected about 50 brands.  That's how I looked at the chicken jerkey - mine might be a different brand but it could have come from the same supplier as WalMart's.

Not worth taking the chance.  Thanks for the advice on the sweet potato.  I might try that.
Gary in Texas

begolf25

Here is the recall notice from Walmart with the product name...

http://www.walmartfacts.com/articles/5241.aspx

iceman

Quote from: Junk Yard Dog on August 24, 2007, 02:59:31 AM
  I'm going to Allied Kenco today, and I'll see what they recommend. 
Man I drool every time I get the catalog. Your lucky to be close by. I think I'd max out some credit cards if I ever got in there. :D

Junk Yard Dog

Iceman,
That store is incredible.  I could spend an entire day there just fondling everything they have.  You'd never go there unless you knew about it.  It's not on the best side of town, it's in a steel building on a strip with warehouses, etc.  But once you go inside, man oh man.  And they do have a digital Bradley smoker there that they have going most of the time.

I didn't get a chance to go today because my car is in the shop.  Perhaps tomorrow.

Gary in Texas

Tiny Tim

What kind of meat for jerky for your dog?  How about Michael Vick?

On second thought, no...wouldn't want it to poison your dogs.

Carry on.

Junk Yard Dog

I would like to see a similar picture of Michael Vick as this one.
Sorry for the post.

Gary in Texas

Junk Yard Dog

Quote from: Kell on August 24, 2007, 07:40:16 AM
  I dehydrate sweet potato or sweet yams and he loves it.

Thanks! I dehydrated sweet potatoes yesterday.  My dogs love it too.  And, it's a lot cheaper than meat.
Gary in Texas

dick621

Kell,    How do you prep your yams and sweet potatoes for drying?  I just bought a dehydrater from cabellas and want to try some for my dog. How do you slice them?  how thick, drying time, ect
Thanks.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Kell

Quote from: dick621 on August 26, 2007, 08:43:08 AM
Kell,    How do you prep your yams and sweet potatoes for drying?  I just bought a dehydrater from cabellas and want to try some for my dog. How do you slice them?  how thick, drying time, ect
Thanks.

I just peel and slice 1/4" round slices and did not use any lemon juice or seasoning.  If they are chewy he doesn't eat them so just make sure they are dried until hard (maybe 18hrs?).  I've also tried w/ russet potato and he wouldn't eat it.

HCT

I mean, they're dogs after all.

???
Look at the price you're spending for those treats with ingredients that would kill most anything after awhile. Try making some liver biscuits or other type of biscuits, much healthier. Or just cook up the liver if you're using it for training.  Or dollar for dollar either USA rawhide or porkhide which keeps their teeth clean. I usually buy rawhide, 10" rolls at Costcos and cut them in half for my guys. Same with 10" pork rolls, just halve them. Comes out to about .50
apiece, or the pork roll which is easier to digest.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Junk Yard Dog

HCT,
By that comment, I meant that I didn't want to buy something like top sirloin just for dog treats.  People have told me that when they die, they want to come back as one of my dogs.  I treat them very well.  The whole purpose in starting this thread was because I didn't want to take the chance of hurting them with bad Chinese jerky.

I have taken the suggestion of dehydrating sweet potatoes for their treats.  They seem to love them, and I don't think sweet potatoes are bad for them.  I also sneak them some jerky I've made for myself from time to time.

For their teeth, I do get rawhide chewies, plus I give them a "greenie" every morning.
Gary in Texas