What meat for dog jerky?

Started by Junk Yard Dog, August 23, 2007, 03:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocbriggs

Hello everyone, I am a newbie but have some information regarding jerky treats for your dog.  Be careful with the greenies as they dont break down all the way when they chew them and the pieces dont breakdown much further in there body, other then that they are great.  For us that don't have a smoker yet, (looking at dbs 6-rack), you can also look at merrick treats, they smoke all there treats. I personally get there bully sticks for my dog. She loves them and chews on them all day long. All there treats are made in the U.S.

There web site is www.merrickpetcare.com

Hope this helps

coyote

Quote from: Tiny Tim on August 24, 2007, 01:34:09 PM
What kind of meat for jerky for your dog?  How about Michael Vick?

On second thought, no...wouldn't want it to poison your dogs.

Carry on.
Great post Tiny Tim. :D

Coyote

HCT

Junkyard,
I picked up some chicken breasts that were marked down, the experation date was the same as the day I bought them. Cut them up into strips and cubes and dried them in the dehydrator til completely dry. I refridgerate the finished product just because I feel it's safer. Great treats for the boys.
Also did the same with beef liver when on sale. Simmer it for about 45 minutes with some garlic powder, about 1 Tbsp per pound of liver. Rinse it, pat it dry and cube it and dehydrate it. I refridgerate that also.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

HCT

Hey Folks,
When you prep your sweet potatos do you blanch them before dehydrating? Thanx, Mike
probably the biggest"

Buck36

Has anyone ever tried venison? I would like to use up the old stuff in the freezer to make room for this year. If you didn't spice it, would it be safe for their digestion?

HCT

Hi Buck,
   Some of the high priced dog foods offer venison in the mix. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be okay.
probably the biggest"

Oldman

Dog instead of chicken I suggest turkey breast. While it is a little more costly than chicken once you factor in the cost of the bones and skin in chicken the turkey breast is a deal. It is very easy to slice, I just semi freeze mine first then slice. Or you could just grind them and use a jeaky gun.

On the other hand in the stores here they sell bagged chicken leg quarters dirt cheap. Seen them on sale as low as 29 - 39 cents per pound. While I like chicken leg quarters I will not eat the bagged ones as I can taste the "fish" meal the chickens were fed.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

HCT

Dried up a bit of sweet potato and the boys love them. Only problem is their system doesn't digest them. Yup, orange bits in their ....'s :D :D
probably the biggest"