Compatible rub ingredients

Started by whitetailfan, August 24, 2007, 12:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

This is a great thread.  Answers many of the questions I've had.

I've often thought of using my coffee grinder for grinding chilies but I read that once you do that, you can forget about using it for coffee again (on account of the chili oils).

Carter

Gizmo

I think the chili oils would help the coffee.   :D :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Quote from: Gizmo on August 28, 2007, 08:53:26 PM
I think the chili oils would help the coffee.   :D :D

Yeah gives the term "hot coffee" a whole new meaning, might want to leave out the garlic though  :o ;D ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Lefty;

Can you describe how you oven dry your brown sugar, I can't find my book that instructs how to do it. Do you loose any of the molasses flavor?

Carter;

If you uses a burr coffee grinder it is often recommended to have a separate grinder for coffee and one for spices.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Lefty_Smoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 29, 2007, 02:31:45 AM
Lefty;

Can you describe how you oven dry your brown sugar, I can't find my book that instructs how to do it. Do you loose any of the molasses flavor?

Sure,  I simply spread out the clumpy brown sugar in either a large glass casserole dish or even a clean cookie sheet.  Pop it in the oven, set it as low as it will go, which is 170F on my oven.  I usually even keep the door open a crack to help keep the temps down.  Then just check it every 15-20 minutes or so.  The existing clumps will harden as they dry, I simply use the back of a spoon to crunch them into smaller bits as it drys.  Then just keep checking it.  When it is dry enough that it no longer clumps, you're done.    At that point, if you want it even finer, then just toss it in the grinder for a few seconds.     

I've never noticed any loss of flavor.  I don't think it will be a problem as long as you don't let it get too hot.  That is why you set the oven as low as it will go, while keeping the oven door open a bit as well.  Remember, you're just trying to dry it, not carmelize it. :<)

Artmiester

Thanks Lefty,
   Never thought of drying out the brown sugar first. Used to add all my rub ingredients in a ziploc bag and shake it up while pinching the brown sugar clumps. I'll be grinding everything in my magic bullet from here on in. Glad to have another use for it besides chopping ABT stuffings.
This is a great thread! ;D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Mr Walleye

I also grind my sugar and salt. Right now I just use the coffee grinder but I have been thinking about buying the CuisinArt Mini Prep Plus. If I understand the product description correctly, it indicates the blades have a sharp edge on one side and a blunt edge on the other. The grind and the chop funtions turn the blade in opposite directions.

Sounds like it might be useful and I see a few of you people are already using them.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Payson

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 29, 2007, 07:56:14 AM
I also grind my sugar and salt. Right now I just use the coffee grinder but I have been thinking about buying the CuisinArt Mini Prep Plus. If I understand the product description correctly, it indicates the blades have a sharp edge on one side and a blunt edge on the other. The grind and the chop funtions turn the blade in opposite directions.

Sounds like it might be useful and I see a few of you people are already using them.

Mike
You understand the description perfectly. It's a fine product. Good looking for the $ too.

Mr Walleye

Thanks Payson

I'm going to have to pick one up and give it a try. Besides, it will work great for chopping up onions and garlic for other recipes as well.

Mike

NePaSmoKer

This is my favorite rub for pork loin.

2 tbsp brown sugar or sugar in the raw (turbinado)
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp allspice
2 tsp cayenne pepper

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 29, 2007, 07:56:14 AM

Mike

I don't think the Prep Plus has reversible blades, I have the Mini-Mate Plus which is much small, and looks like a blade type coffee grinder. I got it free with the purchase of a blender. The dull blade is great for grinding peppercorns, juniper berries, and other hard and/or large seeds. I like the size of it, because I like to grind my spices separately, rather they throw all in the grinder at once. When the white stem is showing, you are grinding with the sharp blade, when the grey stem is showing you are using the dull edge of the blade. Also it is very easy to clean.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_k/105-5435177-7166811?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=Cuisinart+Mini-Mate+Plus&Go.x=16&Go.y=10

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

Hi Habs

The mini prep plus has 2 buttons on it. 1 for chop and 1 for grind. The blade remains the same, it just runs in the opposite direction. Plus it's a little larger than the link you posted. I'll find a link for it.

Mike

Payson

I don't think the Prep Plus has reversible blades, I have the Mini-Mate Plus which is much small, and looks like a blade type coffee grinder. I got it free with the purchase of a blender. The dull blade is great for grinding peppercorns, juniper berries, and other hard and/or large seeds. I like the size of it, because I like to grind my spices separately, rather they throw all in the grinder at once. When the white stem is showing, you are grinding with the sharp blade, when the grey stem is showing you are using the dull edge of the blade. Also it is very easy to clean.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_k/105-5435177-7166811?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=Cuisinart+Mini-Mate+Plus&Go.x=16&Go.y=10
[/quote]

The Cuisinart mini-prep plus does indeed have reversible blades. One button is for chop and the blades rotate so the sharp portion contacts whatever's in it. The other button reverses the blade direction for more of a coffee-grind effect. Excellent product!

Habanero Smoker

Thanks Mike, I know what the Prep Plus looks like.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Consiglieri

Cuisinart prep plus is a great machine, if you want to beat up your spices, and mix them too.  You can find them cheaper than at Williams Sonoma, but they had a good picture:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/e040/index.cfm?pkey=celtfpri
Consiglieri