Help Smoked salmon virgin

Started by Turkeyman, September 03, 2007, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

I am going to try Kummoks recipe for salmon this will be my first time smoking fish. Now How long do you add smoke for? And how do I know when the salmon is done is their a internal temp it needs to get to ?

Any Help thanks

Gizmo

2 to 4 hours of smoke depending on how smokey you like it and what type of wood (stong flavor or light flavor).

For "when the salmon is done", the salmon should flake apart.  If you follow Kummoks cooking times (which I believe are taken from Bradleys recipe book), the fish will be done in that timeframe.  The timing is quite forgiving.  I am sure Kummok can give you the real details.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I usually apply 2 hours of smoke. For me the best internal temperature for salmon is 140°F. It's best to use an instant read thermometer, since the usual meat probes need to be inserted too far in the meat, are too thick, and too long to leave in the salmon for monitoring.

Generally it you have a rack full of pieces, such as Kumock's salmon or chicken parts, you should take the temperature of 2-3 pieces that are located on the rack, and go by the piece with the lowest temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)