Brisket

Started by kiyotei, August 26, 2007, 08:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiyotei

I smoked a nice 10lb brisket today.  I tried out a new mustard slather and also a new rub.  Both worked well but could have used a bit more salt.  I smoked it for about 4 hours and then put it in the oven at 350 for one hour.  I then dropped the temp to 305 for an hour.  Then I left I dropped the temp to about 275 for an hour.  I let it sit out in the foil for about 40 mins before carving.  Normally I would use a lower temp for a longer period of time but I was in a hurry and wanted it ready for dinner.  It was perfectly tender and juicey.  I've found I like to place the metal shelf from the smoker upside down on the foil.  I then place the brisket on top of it and wrap up the foil.  This keeps the brisket from sitting in the juices.  I find that the juices can wash off the spice rub on the lower section of the meat.  Here's a pic before I carve it.

Gizmo

That is a very different surface look from the usual pics posted and what I have had.  Looks great.  Hopefully you'll have post carve pics for a look inside.   :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

kiyotei

sorry I did not take any post carving pics.  It looked just like my other briskets after carving.  It has a very nice taste and is very tender.  I did a few things differently.
1. Normally I try to smoke it 5-6 hours which darkens it a bit more. 
2. My normal rub has a fair amount of sugar in it which will carmalize and darken the couting on the meat.
3. I also usually have it in the oven for a good 7-8 hours at about 210.  I find this long time in the oven really darkens the outside crust.
4. This brisket also had a very thick fat cap. I didn't realize how thick until I cut it off before slicing.

kiyotei

I meant to ask what do you think looks so different with this brisket?

Gizmo

You can see the meat through the crust as in the seasoning is not covering the brisket with a large quantity of thickness on 100 % of the meat.  It has a very yummy appearance and I suspect it is due to the quantity of rub you applied or the ingredients.  I am thinking I will cut down the amount of rub I tend to use to duplicate the look.  There have been posts here from folks that use salt and pepper only (don't recall any pics though) and they love the pure flavor.  Had so much rub premixed that I have been reluctant to not use it on everything until it is gone.  I kept it vacuum packed in a foodsaver container (largest they make) and it is almost gone now (I have also modified it along the way further extending its life).
You mentioned a new mustard slather and a new rub for the application which piqued my curriosity on the appearance.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: kiyotei on August 27, 2007, 07:33:02 AM
I meant to ask what do you think looks so different with this brisket?

Good question. Doesn't seem to have the much-sought-after reentry vehicle look....

Seems like too much apple juice or beer was splashed on it. However, taste is the ultimate judge...   :o

Arcs_n_Sparks

kiyotei

ah ok, the reentry look, good analogy :D  I used the following mustard slather:
2 cups yellow mustard
1/2 cup dill pickle juice
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Tabasco.
The big difference here being the dill pickle juice.  My other slathers have no vinegar type products in them.
I then sprinked with a pretty standard rub.  I think the only significant ingredients to mention was the lack of sugar and black pepper.  I'm certain that the sugar darkens as the meat cooks.  I did apply less rub than normal but I did not skimp on it.  I've tried the simple rubs made of salt, sugar, and black pepper and the more complex rubs.  I like them all.  I like the variety.  I also only cooked it in the oven for about 3-4 hrs which is a lot less than normal (8 hrs), though at a higher temp.  Other than that I have no explanation as to why I didn't get that reentry look.  It tasted fine if not damn good.

kiyotei

one other note, I did not use any juice this time when I wrapped it in foil.  I also did not baste it at all while it was in the smoker.  I did have a rack of red bell peppers on the top shelf of the smoker but I don't think that had any effect.  I love freezing the peppers and added them to soups, tomato sauces, etc.  They are a great flavor booster.

Gizmo

Dill, Yum.

For the peppers, do you smoke them whole or slice them first?

kiyotei

I've done it both ways.  When I'm feeling lazy I toss them in whole.  This time I decided to cut them in half.  My intent when smoking them is to just give them flavor, not to dry them out for storage.  I actually freeze them when I'm done.  I make a lot of cajun food during the winter and love to add smoked bell peppers.  The only prep I do is wash the pepper and dry them off and perhaps slice them in half.  I don't add any spices, oils, etc.

Gizmo

I have smoked whole peppers for use in chili.  I was wondering if they take on more smoke flavor by slicing.  Never dried them either.

Habanero Smoker

I have smoke and dried habanero, serrano, jalapeno, and poblano peppers. Cutting larger peppers like poblano in half seems to improve the smoke flavor and helps them to dry, but for smaller peppers I've never tried cutting in half. I will slit jalapenos on both sides to help them dry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteThere have been posts here from folks that use salt and pepper only

Must admit to being a fan of using salt and pepper only and letting the basic meat flavour do the talking. However equally I also enjoy playing around and producing different rubs to try and have a couple of regular favourites.

Variety is the spice of life as they say... as I keep telling my partner!!  :D :D :D
Manxman