Pulled Pork Tenderloin and The Knowledge of Bradley Forum.

Started by wicz, August 28, 2007, 09:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicz

I follow the weight watchers lifestyle and have lost 40 lbs.  I have a pulled pork weight watchers recipe made in a slow cooker.  What I want to do is add some smoke flavor to the pork tenderloin or.  Can I smoke a tenderloin so that it shreds?  Here is the recipe, if that helps.

1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 Cup of Barbecue Sauce
1 Onion, Finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder (I have also used BBQ rub and it works
great too)
6 Soft wheat sandwich rolls split

1. Place the pork, BBQ sauce, onion and chili powder in a 5 or 6 quart
slow cooker; mix well.  Cover and cook until pork is fork-tender, 3-4
hours on high or 6-8 on low.

2. With two forks, shred the pork.  Fill each roll with 1/2 cup pork
mixture.

Points value is 6 (for those who want to follow WW)

iceman

I'm just thinking out loud (gets me in a heap of trouble all the time)  :o but...
I was thinking you could maybe cold smoke the tederloin for an hour then just use the recipe you have.
I think (here we go again) ::) the tenderloin is to lean to cook to the point of shredding. Mind you I've never tried this so........ Sounds good though.

wicz

Thanks for the tip.  I have never cold smoke before.  How would you do Tenderloin cold smoke?

iceman

Quote from: wicz on August 28, 2007, 01:26:37 PM
Thanks for the tip.  I have never cold smoke before.  How would you do Tenderloin cold smoke?
I've taken thick chops right out of the refer and tossed them in the smoker that was already producing smoke. No heat, just smoke. If I recall it was for 30 minutes then a seasonig rub down and on to the grill. I didn't want the meat out to long before getting to the heat for safety reasons. I've also been brining my loins (the pigs, not mine) :D and that really keeps them moist.

Habanero Smoker

Congratulations on your weight loss. Like Iceman; I never did this, and wouldn't use a pork tenderloin cut for pulling, that cut is too expensive and too lean for this. It looks like you will be covering it with plenty of sauce, so that will make it feel moist.

With something like this, you could also just place the meat directly from the refrigerator into a cold BS (not preheated) with temperature adjustment all the way to the left; smoke for 1-1.5 hours, then transfer it to the slow cooker. Just make sure that you preheat the generator prior to smoking.

I'll be interested in how this turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wicz

Thank you again everyone.  I think I am going to give this a try this weekend.