Another FNG, impatiently waiting for his new BDS

Started by rscearcy, August 29, 2007, 06:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rscearcy

Hey, Consiglieri, glad to know there's somewhere I can visit to compare ribs and butts.  I'm in Porterville, about an hour south of Fresno.  It's way too hot for cold smoking here right now and will be for awhile.  I go out and walk about 5:00 each morning (doc's orders, don't you know?) and it's been in the low 80s before the sun even comes up.  We both know what happens when the sun does come up.  But, at least you guys cool off in the evening.  I wish we did.

I just checked with both vendors for my smoker and the accessories and both show the orders still "processing."  And, I wanted so much to wear my cool Bradley baseball cap around town.  I suppose something worth having is worth waiting for, but I can't help it if I'm impatient. 

I had planned on smoking ribs, salmon or tuna for my inaugural smoke, but the posters here have kinda steered toward pork butt.  Maybe I'll do a combo of ribs and butt.  But, I'd better invite a bunch of friends over.  I don't mind spending food money on them, but they can drink a lot of beer and wine.

All you guys have a great smokin' Labor Day weekend.  I guess I'll have to content myself with grilled pork tenderloin or salmon or prime rib roast, but no hamburgers!

Smoke safe (an adaptation of some of my old biker lingo),
rscearcy
If you are able to keep your head when all around you are losing theirs...maybe they know something you don't.

Consiglieri

All are excellent menu choices.  And make those deadbeat friends bring some beer! ;)  And ice, considering the temps.

good luck with the food.
Consiglieri

Lefty_Smoker

Quote from: rscearcy on August 31, 2007, 09:40:20 AM

I just checked with both vendors for my smoker and the accessories and both show the orders still "processing."  And, I wanted so much to wear my cool Bradley baseball cap around town.  I suppose something worth having is worth waiting for, but I can't help it if I'm impatient. 

At least your pucks are on the way.  ;D

Ontrack

Welcome! It looks like you are on the way to some outstanding meals. Just read and absorb all the info you can, and don't get down if your first smoke or two aren't perfect, because if you pay attention to these guys, they will all get better with time--just like they have with me!

La Quinta

Welcome!! I feel your pain on the "no cold smoking"! We're out near Palm Springs! I may be able to cold smoke in January/February! :( But can't wait to do it none the less!

rscearcy

Wow!  Palm Springs in the summer is something everyone has to experience.  That's even hotter than the San Joaquin Valley, but "it's a dry heat."  That's what we tell everyone, but deep down inside, even we don't believe it.   ;)  But, who feels sorry for you in the winter, right?

Well, we'll cool off long before you.  So, just grab a 12-pack and head to the Valley in October.  We'll try some cold smoking. 

We had some really good friends over that way; I think they lived in Cathedral Springs.  Biker types, you know, but big-hearted and fun loving.  They'd have really fit in with the smoking crowd (well, at least the eating part). I've lost touch with them, but I know they sure did love the area. 

I'll give you a 2 month heads up on cold smoking in the warmer parts of California.

Happy hot smoking.
If you are able to keep your head when all around you are losing theirs...maybe they know something you don't.