FERMENTO

Started by sherlock, November 05, 2007, 07:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Is fermento the same as or equal to Insta Cure 3 1 or # 2?

If no is there a subsitute product?

I was placing an order with Butcher & Packer and they have no product called "Fermento".

Allied Kenco has it, but I hate to order it there and pay to ship just that.

winemakers

Quote from: sherlock on November 05, 2007, 07:54:20 AM
Is fermento the same as or equal to Insta Cure 3 1 or # 2?

If no is there a subsitute product?

I was placing an order with Butcher & Packer and they have no product called "Fermento".

Allied Kenco has it, but I hate to order it there and pay to ship just that.

No it is not the same.  It is a product that introduces the 'tang' in summer sausage style applications.  It is not in any way a cure!!!  Someone here will know, but I believe it is a lactic acid containing 'stuff' that gives that tangy flavor associated with those speciality sausage.

mld

iceman

Winemakers is spot on. Fermento is in a catagory by itself. Not a cure but a flavor enhancer.
Used in semi-dry cure products. A dairy based, controlled fermentation product in powdered form. Helps make a quality semi-dry cured sausage with the traditional tangy flavors. Eliminates the long curing time for fermentation. Stuff and smoke your sausage right away. Use when making Venison Summer Sausage, Cervelat, Geotburg and any other type of summer sausage. Use 1oz. per 2lbs of meat. Do not exceed 6lbs of Fermento per 100lbs. of meat.
Hope this helps you out sherlock.

CLAREGO

yeah LEABANOn Bologna is made with Fermento never tried as soon as I put down a deer guess whos getting some if you try before i do tell us

Stickbowcrafter

The answer you were looking for was provided above nicely. I used some Fermento in some Thuringer sausage recently: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6093.0 You can order it from any sausage supply house www.butcher-packer.com or www.sausagemaker.com

-Brian

CLAREGO

hey stick yeah whats Thuringer taste like is it real tangy i like the recipe might go with putting some brown sugar in it to make it sweet that looks close to lebanon bologna when you hang it for 10 hours your just letting it dry ? thats seems a little to unsafe for me thanks for the comment 

Stickbowcrafter

Nothing unsafe about it, that's what the pink salt is in there for. Hanging the sausages allows the Fermento to start working and allows the casings to dry. Some of the dry cured sausage you've been eating your whole life may have hung for weeks, months or more.

The Thuringer is really mild, just enough tang but not overpowering.

-Brian