External Cold Smoking Box

Started by MoSmoke, September 07, 2007, 03:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoSmoke

I was thinking about making an external smoking box from a military surplus ammo box.
They come in various sizes, fairly cheap, durable, could store the dryer vent hose insiide and comes wiith a handle.
I may have to replace the rubber gasket with a bead of high temp silicone.
Probably the toughest part would be cutting the holes in the box.
Just looking for comments and suggestions from the forum.

Thanks.

MoSmoke
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

manxman

If it just being used as a cold smoking box I think it would be fine, as you say cutting the holes may be the biggest issue but not that big a deal. Need some protection around the sharp cut edges though!

For cold smoking only a rubber gasket should not be a problem.

Bradley have a prototype cold smoking box ready for production but it is not likely to be available until sometime in  2008 so in the meantime all ideas for cold smoking boxes are welcome.

Perhaps you could post a few pics of the finished product?  :)
Manxman

3rensho

I still just use a cardboard box some wine was delivered in.  Cut two holes with a paring knife.  Don't need gaskets at all as the cardboard forms a seal around the aluminum dryer hose.  After I put the water pan in the box I simply hold the flaps shut with a chunk of stove wood.  I've used it many times and it's still as good as new.  If it does ever wear out well, time to order some more wine.  ;D

Please post some pix when you finish it.  I'd like to see it.

Tom 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

NePaSmoKer

Thats what i did the 1st time. Cardboard box with 2 holes, one for the smoke generator and the other for a standard dryer vent hose to my BS box. works fairly well.

nepas

winemakers

Ignorant question fellas,

I get the carboard box thing, I've got one saved, but how do you make up the connection at the smoker end?  To restate, how do you keep the 4 inch hose up against the OBS box itself? 

In the interest of full disclosure, I must state that I have a cardboard box and aluminum flex hose in the garage awaiting the right moment for use, just one more hurdle to cross, the OBS/hose connection (read I am at the office desparately killing time daydreaming about smokin').

mld

Tiny Tim

When it's 69* and no sun on the smoker, a small pan of ice keeps the temp down nicely.  Had under 100* with the smoker setup normally, only the smoke gen plugged in, with 4# of cheese, and 2# of hamburger patties in there Friday Night.

Left my PID Thermocouple in on the bottom rack inverted, but not powered up, ice on next rack up, then the patties, then the cheese on the top rack.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: winemakers on September 10, 2007, 01:00:18 PM
Ignorant question fellas,

I get the carboard box thing, I've got one saved, but how do you make up the connection at the smoker end?  To restate, how do you keep the 4 inch hose up against the OBS box itself? 

In the interest of full disclosure, I must state that I have a cardboard box and aluminum flex hose in the garage awaiting the right moment for use, just one more hurdle to cross, the OBS/hose connection (read I am at the office desparately killing time daydreaming about smokin').

mld
You won't need anything, the hose is just wide enough to fit snug in the opening of the smoker. Once you get the hose inside the opening, at least 2", it will stay in position.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteI get the carboard box thing, I've got one saved, but how do you make up the connection at the smoker end?  To restate, how do you keep the 4 inch hose up against the OBS box itself? 

I got a piece of rigid piping with my (tumble dryer) hose kit, which was designed to vent the hose through a wall if necessary. This fitted nicely into the round hole in the side of the smoke box, I used a bit of draught excluder to make the fit even more snug.  :)
Manxman

Gizmo

Quote from: winemakers on September 10, 2007, 01:00:18 PM

how do you keep the 4 inch hose up against the OBS box itself? 

mld

As already mentioned the dryer hose does fit nicely, but, if not nicely enough, even though duct tape is not really used for ducting, if you need a little extra thickness on the dryer hose or you need to seal up a little leakage, it will work for this.  I had to seal up some AC ducts in the house and bought a few rolls of the tape that is made for duct work.  I am still using that for my setups since I had a lot left over.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

3rensho

The aluminum dryer hose I got fits the hole in the smoker like it was made for it.  No leakage at all.  No need for tape either.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Stickbowcrafter

I made a simple plywood one here: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5264.0 Has worked great for all of my cold smoking needs. I do a lot of cold smoking with a lot of the sausage recipes I do. Simple, cheap and works great. All I need is a coat of black paint or water based stain on the exterior to match my OBS.

No need for a perfect seal for the smoke. The smoke rides the heat which rises, that's why I designed the cold smoke box to sit under my OBS. Sure a little may leak out but not enough to change anything.

-Brian

Iamarealbigdog

Quote from: manxman on September 07, 2007, 06:02:43 AM

Bradley have a prototype cold smoking box ready for production but it is not likely to be available until sometime in  2008 so in the meantime all ideas for cold smoking boxes are welcome.

Ok I'm sold on the bradley, even with having to rig a method to cold smoke, I can't figure out why Bradley is not stepping up to resolve this issue, Cold smoke is just as improtant as Hot.... ARGHHH >:(

A little more information about this prototype would be great, is it a whole new model or a add on to the original, to the digital. What cost are we talking about and when in 2008. I would hate to buy and then have to replace...

Cheers...

Gizmo

Don't know if any one here could answer your questions on Bradley's future productions but there are a few things that might help clear up the cold smoke question.

You can cold smoke with no modification as the box heater is independant.  The problem is the smoke generator (its heating element) is in the cabinet where the meat is.  It is probable that the temperature inside will get above 100 degrees F. during a long cold smoke unless you are in a cold climate.  Therefore it is advisable to move the smoke generator out of the cabinet.  2 or 3 items are all that is require to accomplish this.  A cardboard box, aluminum dryer vent hose, and if you have a digital, a sensor cord (available at electronic parts stores). 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I do not have any information on Bradley's cold smoke box but I would guess that it will be sold as an attachment.  Two reasons are there are a lot of regular units already sold so they can market to current customers and also to keep the basic unit small.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Iamarealbigdog

I sent an email to Bradley, they said they are in the early stages and could not provide any more info. I'm really looking forward to getting my 6 rack digital but may have to wait for the spring. I hate to buy something and then have to change it up to get what I really want.