First Pork Roast

Started by bunnydude, May 14, 2007, 03:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunnydude

I just pulled and FTC'd my firts pork roast that I made in my OBS. I shot it full creole butter garlic marinade and then put on a real good pork rub. I smoke cooked it for 8 hours, with a mix of alder and mesquite for the first four hours. It sure does look good I cant wait to try it. I have 1/2 hour to go on the FTC that will bring me to 10 total hours of cooking time. ;D ;D

I am curious about pork shoulders do you remove the skin when you OBS them or do leave it on?   Please let me know, cause I may do a couple for the neighborhood ;D ;D

Thanks; Bunnydude

Habanero Smoker

Picnic shoulder with the skin is like chicken with skin, it will produce a lot of moisture so make sure you keep the vent at least 3/4 open for the first 4-6 hours.

I have smoked them both ways; skin on, and with the skin and fat carved off. Carving the skin off and fat down to 1/8", you will get the best smoke flavor.

If you leave the skin on you will get very little smoke flavor. To improve the smoke flavor, and to allow a lot of the fat to ex scape, cross cut the skin. Try to penetrate almost done to the meat, but avoid cutting into the meat. After taking it out of the BS I always like to place it in an 450°F oven to crisp up the skin, or else you are just going to cut it off and discard it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

timaging

Hi Habanero smoker-

I'm very interested in hearing more about smoking the shoulder. My local butcher just got some in and I'd like to know times, temps and anything else you might be able to tell me so I could try that this weekend.

THANKS!
Dave

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: timaging on September 06, 2007, 09:22:10 AM
Hi Habanero smoker-

I'm very interested in hearing more about smoking the shoulder. My local butcher just got some in and I'd like to know times, temps and anything else you might be able to tell me so I could try that this weekend.

THANKS!
Dave

I generally don't give times, because I rarely just smoke one item at a time, and there are so many other variables. When I just smoke/cook the picnic I use the recipe in Smoke & Spice. I have another recipe that is Cuban style pork put that is more involved and requires a brining period.

Smoke & Spice Perfect Picnic
6-8 lb. Pork shoulder
5 T. freshly ground pepper
1/4 C. turbinado sugar
3 T. Paprika
2 T. kosher salt
1 T. dry mustard ground
2 t. onion powder
1 t. cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Remove skin, and carve fat down to about 1/4 - 1/8". Coat shoulder with olive oil (or other vegetable oil), and apply about half the mixture to shoulder. Either wrap tightly in plastic, or place in a 2 gallon ZipLoc bag, and refrigerate over night. Remove from refrigerator, and apply another coating of rub, and let it sit at room temperature for about 1 hour. Place in a preheated smoker, and smoke at 200°F-210°F, until an internal temperature of 175°. Remove from smoker, tent foil and allow to rest 30 minutes to an hour. Pull pork from the bone in large chunks, the either slice or chop the meat. I like serving this with a mustard base sauce. You can either smoke the skin seperately, or in the oven, and cut it up into pieces to be used in baked beans, stews, soups etc.

I'm not sure if I posted the Cuba style, if not I will try to write that up. Cuban style has several more steps, and must be finished in the oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

timaging

cool... I have smoke and spice too, so I'll check that out.

I guess not so much exact times, but you give temps and I'm just wondering is it 4 hours or 14...just makes a difference in when I get started. So, about how long does it take to get to that temp?

I did see that cuban style you mentioned, but I'll start with this one.

THANKS!

Dave

Habanero Smoker

Depending on the size, weather and amout of connective tissue I would guess 10-14 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

timaging

cool... thanks! I asked only because I think in your Cuban recipe, you said you only smoked for 4 hours, then went to the oven.

Do you smoke the entire time, or just a portion, like with brisket? Which chips do you typically use? I'm a HUGE fan of the special blend, and I'm assuming mesquite is too strong.

Dave

Habanero Smoker

I just want to make sure we are both talking about the picnic shoulder. I was in a supermarket yesterday, and they had the butt section listed as "shoulder". The picnic shoulder is the lower part, and usually has the skin still attached, and the bone is round, and sometimes with a little part of the shoulder blade still attached. The butt is the upper part of the shoulder. It is generally larger, has a flatter bone (shoulder blade), has more fat and connective tissue.

I only apply four hours of smoke to a picnic shoulder, and I usually use maple or apple for pork. If you like stronger smoke flavor hickory is good, or a blend of hickory and apple; such as 1 hickory and 2 apple. Or start with one hour of hickory, and finish with 2 hours of apple. If special blend is your favorite, then I would use that.

I've only tried special blend once, and did not have any good results. I'm beginning to think that I must have done something wrong, during that smoke. I purchased a 48 pack of special blend, and will give it another try, but I will try it on a smaller piece of meat first. Most likely I will use this smoke on a few chicken parts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

timaging

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 07, 2007, 02:45:17 AM
I just want to make sure we are both talking about the picnic shoulder.

ok, I'll have to double check. I shoulda taken a picture. damn.

timaging

so. they had only one left so I got it... definitely says picnic shoulder.

I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it goes...

thanks!

Dave