Help Pulled Pork Question

Started by Turkeyman, September 08, 2007, 06:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

Having some pepole over for the packer game on sunday and I am smoking 12.5 lbs of boston butt how long will 12 pounds take about ? I want to have it done by about 9 am so it can ftc for a few hours.

Thanks

Tiny Tim

Well, it depends a lot on your smoker/oven temp.  I did a 4# a few weeks ago that took 23 hours, but I used a very low temp (200 at the level of the meat in the smoker).  I've got a 7+# one that's going into the smoker tonight (late afternoon at least), but I'm shooting to get it done tomorrow afternoon/evening, so I'll be crankin' the heat up a little more.

Infalable

My 6 pounders usually take about 15 hors to 17 hours at 200.

johnchitown

I am new to this but what I have experienced that is as much the piece of meat as it the weight or temperature. This was confirmed by a friend who has been competing in BBQ for years and took a first place in Pork a month ago.

I bought a 2 pack at Sam's and did a test cooking in my new BDS using the smaller of the 2 butts and it took almost 16 hours.

Last night I cooked the much larger piece and it was done in 11 hours.

Go Figure!

Malc

I just did about 17 lbs.  It was a whole shoulder from Sam's splt into two somewhat even sections.  It took roughly 16 hours at about 210.  This is an average, since one took a little longer than the other.  Hope that helps.
Don't forget to allow time for the FTC.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Mr Walleye

Yup! I agree. Mine range from 14 to 20 hours. On average I'd say around 17 hours. I usually alow 4 or 5 hours on top of that for FTC. That way if it takes a little longer it's no big deal. You can use the FTC as a time buffer so you can plan to eat at an approximate time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Sounds like it has all been said. Average for me 14 - 16 hours at 215. Or as the boss lady says it's a "couple of late night toddies / bloody mary in the morning" smoke job. :D ;D ;)

Lefty_Smoker

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found the boston butts that I use for pulled pork to be very forgiving of cooking temp/time.

The first few butts I smoked in my OBS, I tried really hard to heed the "low and slow" method, keeping the OBS pegged at 200-210 the whole time.  The times dragged out to 15-17 hours.  The results were outstanding, but long cooking times. 

The last few butts I've done, I've simply cranked the OBS up, put the butt in and simply let it go full tilt till the butt hits 195 IT.  Temps usually start out around 240 and slowly climb to around 265 doing it this way, and the times have been in the 11-13 hour range.  I honestly can't tell any differance in the final product between the two methods.  Results have been outstanding either way, so I see no reason to drag out the smoking/cooking process for pulled pork any longer than necessary. 

I'll probably continue to do my butts at the higher temps/shorter cooking times just because of the ease of doing so. 

I always try to FTC my butts atleast an hour or two before pulling regardless of cooking temp/time. 

MoSmoke

I did two 6 pounders about a month ago with the OBS set at 225.
I put them on at 5:30 and smoked them all night and they hit 195 at 9:00 the next morning.
Overall right at 16 hours.
Depending on the internal fat and cartilage they may take an hour or so longer.
That's where FTC is your friend. If they get done early, FTC them and let them rest until you are ready to pull.
My preference is a temp of 215, but that takes about 2 to 4 additional hours depending on the size.

Good Luck.

MoSmoke
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".