2nd time using OBS turns out good

Started by rbentle2, September 11, 2007, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbentle2

In an effort to make up for my less than stellar first use of my OBS, tonight I smoked 5lbs of beef snack sticks. Lemme say, these things turned out awesome! Way better than store bought (cause I made em). I'm definitely hooked on using a Bradley.

Here's a bit of the finished product.

My recipe (gleaned from various other recipes on the net)
5lbs ground beef
6tsp Morton TQ
3tsp garlic powder
2tsp whole mustard seed
1tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1tbsp ground black pepper
2tbsp brown sugar
2tbsp powdered non-fat milk
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Mixed ingredients and let sit over night. Stuffed into 19mm collagen casings and placed in the racks.
Preheated the smoker to 180F. Once it got there, started up the smoke and put in the racks of meat. Temp dropped to 150F
Smoked at 150F for 2hours using hickory
Upped the temp to 180-190F and take to internal temp of 165 (took me about another two hours)
Let cool and cut into bite size pieces.

Couple of notes. Still warm, the cheese seems non-existant. That could change once these cool in the fridge overnight.

I like spicy food and the one recipe I based mine off of called for 2tbsp of red pepper flakes. The flakes I have are extra hot, so I that's why I halved the amount. Next time I"ll keep to the original two, or maybe three. As they stand, they're perfect for my friends.

All in all, I'm impressed with how they turned out. Next up, this weekend, baby back ribs.
Bob

Mr Walleye

Hey Bob.... sausage looks great!  :P

Good luck with the ribs, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

The snack sticks look great. I am happy you are enjoying your Bradley

nepas

hillbillysmoker

Glad you had such great results.  Sausages look awesome.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Dang good looking snack you made there. Another thing to add to the list of must do's. ;D

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Those look great Bob!  Thanks for the recipe too.  Told you that once you got the first thing out like you wanted it, you would be hooked.  ;)

Enjoy the Bradley,
KyNola

LilSmoker

Very nice!, i could eat some right now!

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!