Today... A Brisket with Smokey Gravy!

Started by adboom, September 23, 2007, 06:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adboom

Three times a charm... The Bradley Digital Smoker Rocks!  Today I did a brisket.  Went to the neighborhood BJ's and got a little under 6 1/2 LB Beef Brisket...

I got this beast on Friday and prepped it that evening with plans to eat on Sunday at 5 PM.  I cleaned the beast and rubbed it down with olive oil then mashed in some mixture/dry rub.  This mixture consisted of Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt, Cajun Shake, Minced Onion, and Minced Garlic.  I cover both sided then wrap in plastic wrap until ready to use.

OK... Time for the math. 6.37LBS x 1.5 (hours per pound of cooking at 200 degrees) = 9.55 Hours. 

6 AM Sunday Morning - Take beast out of 'fridge for hour to reach room temperature.  Here is what we are looking like (ready for smoker)...

6:50 AM - Preheat to 220 degrees and I fill the bowl in the bottom of the smoker with beer rather than water because beer gives off a great moisture that I feel makes the meat better (and I like beer).  (this gives some room for loading, I will cook at 200 degrees).

7:20 AM (I was hoping for 7 AM, but it took longer to preheat than I thought) - Put beast into smoker for 4 hours at 200 degrees with Maple Pucks (and 3 Bubba pucks).  I load the tray above the meat with bacon so that the bacon fat will drip onto the meet while smoking.  The beast will be fat side down for the smoking.  This will make a nice 'checker-board' effect on the fat and will split when finishing in the oven.

11:20 AM - Pull beast out of smoker and get ready to put into 205 degree preheated oven.  (I preheat to 220 to give up for loss when loading).  I will flip the beast over so that the fat side is up when in the oven.  This will help to keep the beast tender and the fat will shrink more.  Here is what we look like after the smoke before the oven...

We were in the smoker for 4 hours, so we need to do the final 5.55 or about 5 1/2 hours in the oven.  The beast gets moved to a baking tray.  I will spritz with olive oil, lay the bacon on the top of the beast and tent with foil.  I put in the oven and leave alone (except for one baste 1/2 way through (at the 2 1/2 hour mark) to moisten up everything).

4:45 PM - 15 minutes to go... At this point I pull the beast out of the oven and do a baste.  I take the baster and remove the remainder of the juice into a glass bowl.  I put the glass bowl in the freezer for the final 15 minutes.  This is to make an awesome smokey gravy.

5:00 PM - Remove the beast from the oven (snack on the bacon) and remove the foil from the beast and let it rest for about 15 - 20 minutes.  See how nice...

At the same time I take the bowl of juice out of the freezer.  I scrape off the fat/oil layer and put the remainder of the juice into a sauce pan.  I mix 2 tablespoons of flower into a cup of water and 2 tablespoons of corn starch into a cup of water mixing both well.  I mix the 2 cups of flower and cornstarch into the juice and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Then simmer on low mixing frequently (get a helper at this point).

While the helper mixes the gravy it is time to cut the beast.  He is large, so I first cut him in half with the grain to split him.  Then I have 2 manageable cuts.  Always cut at a 90 degree angle of the grain (it makes for a cut with no strings).  By the time you are done cutting up the beast the gravy will be just thick enough and you are ready to serve... yummy yummy!  By the way, this 6 1/2 pounder fed 8 adults with a few pieces left over. 
Enjoy!
Alex

Mr Walleye

Sounds & looks fantastic Alex!  :P

Thanks for sharing

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

MMMMMMMMMMM

I can almost smell it......Looks great

nepas

MallardWacker

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

hillbillysmoker

May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

coyote

Adboom , Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together ? Way to go...Gongrats

Coyote