Jerky

Started by Tiny Tim, September 17, 2007, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

Man, if I'd only made this batch the first time around, I'd have probably done it again sooner than what I did.  The one this week was AWESOME.  Instead of curing overnight then into the smoker, I let it sit in the fridge for about 3 days before smoking it.  I also didn't let it dry out as much as the last batch.  Gonna be doing it again as soon as I can get another piece of meat for the purpose, but I'm gonna add some root beer to the curing process (1/2 with root beer, 1/2 without until I'm sure I like it).

Wildcat

Way to go Tiny!  I still have not gotten around to doing jerky yet.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Atta Boy Tiny!

I do jerky probably once a month... darn kids keep comming home and taking it!  ;)

Well.... I guess I eat more than my share to!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

I have about 15 lbs in the works right now.  Full load of 6 racks in the BS (with 1hr 40 min of Alder) and 12 trays in the dehydrator.  Doing HM Inferno, Mandarin Teriyaki, and trying the pastrami cure on 4 lbs.  Had in the fridge over night and what didn't fit of the Inferno will have to wait until tomorrow.  From what you say there Tiny, sounds like it will be better tomorrow or later, except I am during cure instead of wet marinade.

Update: The BS load finished.  Pastrami is not as good as I hoped for.  Flavor is not strong enough and most notable not salty enough.  Will have to see how the dehydrator batch turns out.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

I think we'll be gettin' groceries this evening after work, so I'll see what kind of specimens there are for makin' jerky out of.  Also think I'm gonna try curing 3 days again, just to see if that's what made it good.

The first batch (and reason it took so long to try again) seemed a bit too salty for my taste, and that was only cured overnight.  However, I didn't have a scale then, and guesstimated the weight of the meat and prepared the cure probably a little stronger than it needed to be.

If this next batch comes out good, NePa and AP may not be the only Jerky Junkies here. :D :D :D :D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tiny Tim on September 18, 2007, 07:08:02 AM

If this next batch comes out good, NePa and AP may not be the only Jerky Junkies here. :D :D :D :D

Tim WTG

welcome to the jerky junkie club

nepas

begolf25

Nice work TT!  What kind of meat did you use for your jerky?

Tiny Tim

I think bottom round, but I'm not sure.  The next batch I can be sure is bottom round (at least that's what the package says).

Hi Mountain Original cure and seasoning (available through me in 2 weeks...hint, hint) is what I have used and will on the next batch, with part of the next one having some root beer to chill in and get happy happy happy.

Smoked

OK, Jerky experts-- need your help. I've seen lots of comments about smoke time and temperature, but how much do you leave the vent at the top of the smoker open? (If this was posted somewhere earlier, I apologize for the dupe).

This will be the first thing I try in my new Bradley digital.  Had jerky-making down pretty well with my old Brinkmann wood-fired smoker but I'm learning all over again with this.  (I don't mind eating my "mistakes" though!

Thanks all.

Ed

Mr Walleye

Hi Ed

I run mine around 3/4 open or even more simply because you want the moisture to vent out.

Good Luck

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoked

Thanks for the tip, Mike (Mr Walleye)!!!

-Ed

sherlock

Quote[Full load of 6 racks in the BS (with 1hr 40 min of Alder) and 12 trays in the dehydrator.]Quote

Do I need a dehydrator to make jerky?

Nathan

Tiny Tim

If you're gonna make it by the critter, yeah...if you're only gonna make a few pounds at a time (less than 10), the smoker is good enough.  I usually do 2# or so batches, fills 2 trays, and is done in 3-3.5 hours unless I forget I'm doing it :o .

MRH

I did my sons whole deer into jerky in the smoker only, it takes a while for sure but it will work.  I do think the ones that have the big dehydrators to finish in might be the best way though, for big batches

Mark

okeejohn

I have never done Jerky in my Bradley Digital Smoker. What is a good recipe that does not involve a dehydrator

Okeejohn