Jerky

Started by Tiny Tim, September 17, 2007, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

I've been doing 4 lbs. of either very lean ground beef or ground venison (through a jerky shooter) in a dehydrator for many years. I have always used Hi Mountain cures and have turned out some delicious jerky that looks like the single wrapped convenience store stuff. Do you guys think its better in the Bradley or a dehydrator? Has anyone ever cold smoked any for the smoke flavor, then finished it off in a dehydrator? Like I said, I've always loved the way my jerky turned out, and never had any desire to change it, but now you guys have me wondering...any suggestions?

Tiny Tim

Quote from: okeejohn on November 01, 2007, 09:57:57 AM
I have never done Jerky in my Bradley Digital Smoker. What is a good recipe that does not involve a dehydrator

Okeejohn

For a rookie (I'm still one too), I'd suggest using any of Hi Mountain's Jerky Cure & Seasoning kits.  I slice and season it one day, then as soon as the next day, but as late as a week later, smoke and dry it in my Bradley at 200 or so degrees for 3 hours (2 hours with smoke on, 1 hour no smoke).  I also have done some using Hi Mountain Original, then after a few hours of curing, dumped a can of Root Beer on it and let it set a while before the smoke/dry session.  Wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but I still ate all of it.

Quote from: Ontrack on November 01, 2007, 11:34:28 AM
I've been doing 4 lbs. of either very lean ground beef or ground venison (through a jerky shooter) in a dehydrator for many years. I have always used Hi Mountain cures and have turned out some delicious jerky that looks like the single wrapped convenience store stuff. Do you guys think its better in the Bradley or a dehydrator? Has anyone ever cold smoked any for the smoke flavor, then finished it off in a dehydrator? Like I said, I've always loved the way my jerky turned out, and never had any desire to change it, but now you guys have me wondering...any suggestions?

I'm a firm believer in doing things the way you like them, but the occasional experiment is okay too.  I've done the ground in a dehydrator, and whole muscle in the smoker...never the other way around.  Prefer my whole muscle attempts over the ground, but I don't know if it's the smoke, texture, or just all around preference.  Only you can decide what is right for you.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Ontrack on November 01, 2007, 11:34:28 AM

Here's my take on it.

I have just recently bought a Cabela's commercial grade dehydrator so I have only done about 3 batches but here is what I've been doing. With either ground or whole muscle I put it in the smoker at 170 degrees and apply 1 hour and 20 minutes of hickory. I then take it out of the smoker, blot it off with a paper towel, then put it in the dehydrator at 155 degrees until it reaches my desired texture/dryness. The two things I have discovered is the dehydrator is much, much faster and I prefer the texture of the ground jerky done this way. I prefer the whole muscle jerky done this way as well but it is just not as big a difference as the ground. I did allot of jerky in the smoker prior to having the dehydrator and I definitely enjoyed it all. I think it's just personal taste and fine tuning. I have to admit though that I prefer my new method for either ground or whole muscle meat. I'm sure we will hear from NePas on this.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ontrack

Mr. Walleye-That sounds like a smoke for this weekend (along with the pork t-loin & ribs). Now, another question. I don't have jerky racks for the Bradley. Is that going to pose a problem for the gound meat through the jerky shooter? It's pretty soft and flimsy even when using the thickest nozzle.

Mr Walleye

I've done it with the regular racks before. I found if I put a cookie sheet under the rack while I was shooting the jerky strips out it seemed to work better. Also spray your racks with Pam to prevent sticking.

I have found the jerky racks to be... well just poorly coated racks that don't last. I would instead buy the jerky Drying Screens that they sell. They just lay on top of the regular racks and work very well. That's all I use now.

Mike

Ontrack

Thanks alot, MW, I'll do the cookie sheet deal for the weekend and order the screens. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Gizmo

I'll second the method Mr Walleye uses with the smoke then dehydrate.  Only I have the cheap American Harvest dehydrator with 12 racks.  The rack rotation on the dehydrator is so much easier than in the Bradley that I don't mind doing it more often which results in more even drying of the jerky.  I have never done any ground meat so can't help you there.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

Gizmo, I have the same dehydrator as you. It's worked fine for several years(actually I'm on my second one), but when it goes, I'll probably move up to a commercial one.

Gizmo

I'll probably join you as well on the comercial but think it will be quite some time before mine gives out since it is only a few years old right now.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

OK Guys, here's my weekend jerky. I started out with 3# of the leanest ground beef (96/4) that I could find. I mixed Hi Mountain Garlic and Cracked Pepper with 1/4 cup of Dale's Steak Seasoning,1/4cup of Allegro meat mariande, and a couple of dashes of liquid smoke. Mixed well and covered overnight, then shot with the jerky shooter this morning. Now comes Mr. Walleye's suggestion. 1 hour and 20 minutes of hickory smoke on the BS at 170, followed by 6 hours on the dehydrator at 155. I just took it off the dehydrator, stuck it in a gallon bag, and put it in the fridge. I can taste a little smoke on the few peices I sampled, and they were great. But, like everything else I've smoked, the smoke flavor will get much better after a night in the fridge. Thanks Mike (Mr. Walleye) for helping me make something that I thought was the best into something even better.

Mr Walleye

Sounds excellent Ontrack!  8)

I think the amount of smoke is a personal taste thing. The first time I did some in the Bradley I  think I put 2.5 to 3 hours of smoke on. Man was it strong. Now when I try something new I usually go a little light, then just tweak it over time.

Mike

Ontrack

Mr Walleye-I rushed home and tried the jerky and it's great. The night in the fridge definately made a difference. I think the 1:20 smoke time is the way to go. I'll admit it's a little more trouble to smoke it first, rather than just shoot it straight out on the dehydrator, but worth every minute of it. I wanted to see how I liked it before ordering the jerky screens. I just ordered them, so that means I'll be doing it again, exactly the same way. Thanks again, Mike.

iceman

Quote from: Ontrack on November 05, 2007, 03:11:33 PM
Mr Walleye-I rushed home and tried the jerky and it's great. The night in the fridge definately made a difference. I think the 1:20 smoke time is the way to go. I'll admit it's a little more trouble to smoke it first, rather than just shoot it straight out on the dehydrator, but worth every minute of it. I wanted to see how I liked it before ordering the jerky screens. I just ordered them, so that means I'll be doing it again, exactly the same way. Thanks again, Mike.
I can't remember Ontrck, did I send you my shipping addy? :D ;D ;)
Glad it turned out. Watch your back though. A.P. is around and itching to cause trouble. :o :D

Ontrack

QuoteI can't remember Ontrck, did I send you my shipping addy? :D ;D ;)

I believe I sent a check there about a week ago, Iceman. ;) But I sure ain't beyond mailing an envelope full of jerky! I'd say some postal dogs may sample it before you get it, though. By the way, I LOVE the sauce, and have eaten it on everything but ice cream!

Mr Walleye

I'm glad it worked out for you Ontrack!
I'm sittin' here chowin' down on some as we speak! ;)

mmm...mmm...good! It's no wonder why A.P. has such a fetish for jerky

Mike