Jerky

Started by Tiny Tim, September 17, 2007, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

I've always had a thing for jerky myself, but haven't done any since I got the Bradley. I've been too busy cooking (and eating) other stuff. But I think this is taking jerky to the next level!

Stickbowcrafter

Great! Where's the pictures?

-Brian

begolf25

Fellas,

Did my first batch of jerky this weekend and it turned out great.  Got a couple of questions?

1. How do you store your jerky if you are planning on eating it within the next month or two? Also, how about long term storage if I make a large batch and want to put some away? Can I just vacuum seal and freeze?

2. The jerky seasoning I got came with two packages. One was a cure and the other was a seasoning pack. The amount of cure and seasoning was good for 10lbs of meat. I only did 3lbs and divided the amount of cure and seasoning the best I could. As long as I get my measurements pretty close I am hoping the meat should be safe. Thoughts?

Tiny Tim

I store mine in ziploc bags.  My first batch I ever made that was too salty tasting is still in the fridge here at the store, 9 months old and still looks good.  Most of what I make lately sits in the fridge for 2-3 weeks before I get to chewin' on it (just gotta be in the mood), then is gone within a week.

Mr Walleye

When I do a bunch (last time 20 lbs) I usually vac-pack it in portions that I will eat in a couple days and throw them in the freezer. Then when ever I want some I just take a package out and fire it in the fridge to defrost, tear it open and have at'er. I think vac-packed and froze it would keep a long time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 12, 2007, 07:31:28 AM
When I do a bunch (last time 20 lbs) I usually vac-pack it in portions that I will eat in a couple days and throw them in the freezer. Then when ever I want some I just take a package out and fire it in the fridge to defrost, tear it open and have at'er. I think vac-packed and froze it would keep a long time.

Mike
Yeppers Mike, That's what I'd do. Had some over 8 months that way and it was still great tasting.