Ready for the first run on my new Digital 4 rack, and am seeking advise

Started by SmokieJoe, September 18, 2007, 02:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokieJoe

Although I am fair proficient at grilling, this is my first time smoking. For my first try, I have two double cut pork chops.  I am planning on brining them for about 12 hrs. in the simple salt/sugar brine and rubbing them with Cabela's Honey Pecan seasoning.
From some info I have found on the web, I have found the following general recommendations:
Smoke at 225
2-3 hrs
internal temp of 160
I have yet to decide on what wood to use.

Any advise or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

iceman

Sounds good SmokieJoe. I think with today's pork your better off pulling them at 150 / 155 or your over doing it. Just pull them at that temp and tent for a few minutes and the temp will come up to 160 and stop. That way they won't over shoot the proper temp and stay nice and moist. Much more than 160 and you start "squeezing" all the juices out. :) Good eats are on the way. The last chops I did were with apple and came out great. Then again I've used hickory and it was just as good. Dang decisions anyhow. :D ;D ;)

SmokieJoe

Thanks Ice,
How about smoke time, to cook time. Should I be smoking the whole time, or smoke for a shorter time than my cook time?

Gizmo

How much smoke will depend on how strong you want it.  I would suggest 2 hours this time and adjust more or less the next batch.  The Bradley Smoke is mighty powerful stuff.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I hope I'm not too late. Depending on your salt concentration, 12 hours may be too long for double cut pork chops. I would cut it down to around 4-6 hours. I generally only take pork up to 145°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Good catch on the brine time Hab. 4 hrs would be plenty for sure.
Giz is spot on with the smoke time. 2 hours would be my start point.
Keep track of what you do so you can adjust next time if need be.

SmokieJoe

Just reporting back on my results.
I brined the double cut pork chops for 6 hrs. and decided on 220 degrees for smoke temp with the vent 1/4 open.
The chops hit 150 at exactly 2hrs. and were delicious! Thanks for all the advice.

iceman

Good job S.J.
So 6 hours in the brine wasn't to much?
What strength was your brine?