Ribs ? ? ?

Started by Thunder Fish, October 25, 2004, 02:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder Fish

Last weekend I did some ribs & chicken in the Bradley,turned out FANTASTIC ! ! ! This weekend I did up just ribs, the only thing I left out was the chicken and about 1/3 cup of whiskey in the brine,all else was the same.Smoked to internal temp of 165 ish same as last week took just about as long but this batch was tough and came out looking under done.
 My question on your opinion's is
1)did the chicken give out moisture to the ribs
2)could the whiskey make that big of difference
3)bad patch of meat
 feed back please [:)]

nsxbill

So many variables.  How hot was the BS temp?  The Chicken eats up a lot of therms and might have an impact on moisture.   Did you rotate?  

Many of us put bacon on top rack when doing ribs to keep them moist and increase flavor.  I like to bard with bacon (Put it on top of the ribs).  

You just have to keep trying. My two attempts at ribs have been lackluster thus far, although the second was far better than the first.  On my first attempt, I smoked through the entire time.  

Now, I only smoke max of 4 hours.  I have also started going for slower cooks and lower temps.  Overall my results have been better, and I think the next ribs will be much better.  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

Thunder Fish,
165f for ribs is way to low.  I would think the reason they were tough is they still needed to be cooked for 2 more hours.  Internal trmp needs to be in the 185f range.  Also don't forget to peel the membrane off the back side.[:D]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

BigRed

T Fish!

I think Bill hit the nail on the head. Ribs NOT COOKED long enough. Was the meat puling away from the bone on the tips? This is one of the ways to tell if the ribs are close to being done. Slow is the key just like Bill said. I do my ribs up to 8 hrs.+ at 200 to 210 degrees. I normally put them in late at night and take off in the morning, wrap in scran wrap then foil and towels for a few hours. Come out great. I never attempted to smoke two things at once but a lot of smokers on this form do.

BigRED

MallardWacker

<b><font color="blue">WORD on the 185deg</font id="blue"></b>, might even do 190 if you smoking spares.  After coming to temp, wrap those puppies in foil and a towl and let them set for a least an hour.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Thunder Fish

Thanks for all the input, notes will be taken,I'm just at a mystery why one weekend same temp by the sensor(it is working)they were fall off the bone ,the next weekend [xx(].Brad sensor ran around 210-220 both times.
I did a first run  at these but they went from the smoker to the garbage as they were WAYYYYYYY over done 3 weeks ago.
 I will not be defeated on these and will keep the group posted,next batch will be hitting the whiskey in the brine again[:p]
Terry

BigSmoker

Terry,
Me personally I go by how far the bones are exposed and the twist method.  Twist a bone and when it goes easy there done.  I also usually just cook St. Louis style[:D].  The foil towel method has never let me down either.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.