My first cold smoke

Started by Ontrack, September 22, 2007, 05:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

Last night I cold smoked 2 filet mignons for 1 hour using hickory. I had to use ice in the bowl and a partial bag in the drip tray to keep the temps down, because the ambient temps were near 75 degrees here.Then I vacuum sealed them and put them in the fridge. Tonight I dry rubbed them with sea salt and cracked peppercorn while waiting for them to come to room temp. I then seared them on each side on the infrared searing eye on the gas grill before moving them over to low heat for about 15 minutes on each side. Oh my God, what a delicious steak. I have never tasted so much smoke flavor on anything I've cooked yet on the BDS (I think this is my 7th smoke). I can still taste the smoke flavor 1 hour after I ate the steak. I think next time I will either cut down the smoke time by 20 minutes, or use a more "gentle" flavor of wood, but all in all this was a meal that I can be proud of. I'll definately be doing this meal again soon, with only a few minor modifications.

NePaSmoKer

iceman

Wow that's sounding real nice Ontrack. Glad it turned out for you.

Stickbowcrafter

Great, congrats! Pictures?

-Brian

Ontrack

Sorry, no pics. I just don't think I could show anyone on this forum anything they haven't seen before. Plus, when I'm standing there starving and drooling, it's hard to ask the wife where I left the camera. I know, I need to do better...