Pork/Brisket/Ham

Started by mike2146, October 25, 2004, 02:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike2146

Hi, new to smoking. don't actually have it yet but getting one soon, planning a huge 75-100person party in january and wanted to smoke most of it. is it ok to smoke pork/brisket/ham at the same time? or could I do 1 a day ahead of time so I could you different flavored wood chips.
and does anyone have good links for rubs/sauces/mops for the different types of meats.

MallardWacker

If you are NEW.  <b><u><font color="red">You might want a plan "B".</font id="red"></u></b>  That is a lot.  Since you are a tenderfoot here (IMHO) get yourself some pork butts, about six and start with that.  It's kind of hard to screw those up.   Six butts at one time will still be a chore but read the posts and you will do fine.  Only sugestion is to cook to a internal temp of 185-190 then wrap the butts in foil and then a old towl then place them in a cooler for a couple of hours.  With that many butts, they will keep for hours(flaming hot) with no problem.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

Or do what we do for Indy with the butts. Smoke them up in advance, shred & sauce and throw them in the freezer/refrig as is appropriate for the time in advance. Warm them up in a crock pot or low oven & everybody won't know you didn't do them that day.

That will get a lot of meat out of the way, so day of party, you can just do some quicker smoking stuff like sausage chubs, chicken parts, andouille, shrimps etc. We fed about 300 this year, but we had 4 smokers churnin'.

You're only gonna get about 40# of meat in a smoker and if you cram that much in, your total cook time is going to go up. I'd certainly do a few "learnin'" smokes before the big day.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?