What Is Flap...

Started by owrstrich, October 25, 2004, 02:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

i was scoring some grub at costco... looking for the brisket... they had something called flap... i didnt want to confuse it with flat as i have read here brisket flat...

anyway i asked the butcher what it was... must have been a junior butcher... couldnt answer... big piece of meat in an ibp package...

anyone know what this is... and what its used for...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

MallardWacker

O,

I think they are refering to the "point" of the brisket.  I am no expert here (where is Big Smoker when you need him).  If you buy a complete brisket (usually 8+ lbs and is about $1 less a pound than just the flat) that is what I refer to a butcher pack.  It has both pieces of the brisket together.  The point of the brisket is different, it is seperated by a good layer of fat(kind of sits on top of the point) and the grain goes in a different direction then the flat, also it is smaller but thicker.  The point(to me)has a higher fat content inside the muscle thus a bit different than the flat, not my favorite.HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

I read this post earlier and looked for a "flap" all over.  I could find no info about a "flap".
I think it was maybe a typo at the store or somewhere.  Never heard of it but will let yall know if I find something.  I'm sure it is beggin' for a low and slow though[:D].  

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

Every once and awhile I will go to the J.R. website and fantasize about purchasing one of their smokers. While reviewing a brisket recipe, I spotted this sentence; "<u>You can get a brisket with fat cap on or off. It is sometimes called a <b>flap or deckle</b>. When using a smoker I prefer to cook one without the fat cap. With the smoker I am putting moisture back in so it is not drying out</u>."

http://www.jrenterprises.com/recnov02.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...