Cold smoking hamburgers

Started by Ontrack, September 25, 2007, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

I would like to cold smoke some hamburgers this weekend if the weather is cool enough. Anybody out there have any suggestions as far as smoking times or wood flavor? Can I vacuum seal and then freeze what I don't use immediately? Is the smoke taste even worth the effort? I'm looking for some expertise here,and even though I haven't noticed a forum devoted to this subject, I'm all ears and open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Ontrack

P.S.     I cold smoked some filet mignons and porterhouses this past weekend and they were as good or better than any steak I have ever cooked, thus the hamburger question....

Gizmo

I have never tried smoked hamburger and the closest to it was "Ain't Your Momma's Meat Loaf".  Try it and see how it turns out.
Yes you can cold smoke and then vacuum pack.  Most likely would intensify the flavor as well.
Is the smoke taste worth it?  Trying it would be the best solution.  I wouldn't think the flavor would be worth it if you are going to grill (especially on a charcoal grill), as burgers create their smoke from the fat drippings.  If you are pan frying, broiling, or some other non-smoke producing cooking method (microwave?), then the additional smoke flavor would definately be noticable.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Bad Flynch

Ireally don't see how it would be much different from your filets mignon, except for the crumbly consistency. It sounds good to me.
B.F.

Habanero Smoker

I don't want to seem like an alarmist. With ground meat, I would be careful cold smoking, and then vacuum sealing it raw. Though it is rare, there is a chance of botulism. If you use proper food handling, cold smoke for a short period of time, them fully cooking all the hamburgers prior to vacuum sealing it should be safe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Never cold smoked bugers, but I have hot smoked them on my side firebox unit useing hardwood.  It turns out good but they do need to be cooked fast IMHO.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

I did 8 hamburgers is great results. I didnt cold smoke em tho. Just get your heat at 200* with the wood you like. Took about 1.5 hrs to get em medium rare.

nepas

Ontrack

Thanks, all for the advice. Hab, if 1 out of 1000 people got food poisoning, I would be the 1. I think I will take your and Nepas advice and either cold smoke, cook, and seal...or just hot smoke them. I'll post my results when I do them. 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Ontrack on September 26, 2007, 12:59:47 PM
Thanks, all for the advice. Hab, if 1 out of 1000 people got food poisoning, I would be the 1.

Same with me!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 26, 2007, 02:12:50 PM
Quote from: Ontrack on September 26, 2007, 12:59:47 PM
Thanks, all for the advice. Hab, if 1 out of 1000 people got food poisoning, I would be the 1.

Same with me!

Need 1.183 more of you posters to step forward as being the 1 in 1000 that will catch something, then the rest of us are in the clear. ;D :D

Ontrack

OK Tiny Tim, here you go...add my wife to the equation and me getting sick twice, and all the rest of you guys are safe. Smoke on!!!

Malc

I have done hamburgers in the Bradley.  I placed them on the top rack while I was doing a pork but, careful to arrange them so they would not drip on the butt.  I left them in the bradley for maybe 1.5 hours with hickory.  I then finished them on the grill, they were somewhat cooked in the BRadley, so it didn't take long.  Somewhere on the forumI posted the exact stuff.  If I find it I will post the link.  It was well worth it.  Tasted like a great steak.

Malc

Here is that link: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4285.msg37050#msg37050
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Ontrack

Thanks for the link Malc. My mouth is watering right now, ready to try some burgers. The plan for the weekend smoke...

Malc

Quote from: Ontrack on September 27, 2007, 12:55:57 PM
Thanks for the link Malc. My mouth is watering right now, ready to try some burgers. The plan for the weekend smoke...
No problem ;)  Let us know how they turn out.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.