Cold smoking hamburgers

Started by Ontrack, September 25, 2007, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

Sounds interesting. I would think that as long as you cooked them thoroughly you would be fine. Probably best to smoke then grill on the same day though as opposed to leaving the meat at unsafe temps for any longer than necessary.

-Brian

Ontrack

Yeah, I agree Brian. I had planned on doing them Saturday, but the wife reminded me of a house warming party (great) we had to attend, so I guess I'll have to wait until Sunday. I think I'm gonna just make some patties, with no rubs or spices added, (highly unusual for me) and then give them about an hour of hickory, then finish them on the gas grill. Then, no buns, just a little salt and pepper so I can see how they actually taste. Then I'll know what to do the next time. I'll post Sunday night and let everyone know how they turn out. Kinda looking forward to trying something new...

Ontrack

Well, I did it. I hot smoked them today with 1 hour hickory, a total of 2:10 cooking time. They turned out pretty good, probably not quite what I was expecting. I just did a salt, pepper, and a little onion powder rub. I think my biggest problem was using ground chuck. It took the smoke very well, but I think I would have better results with a less lean meat. I'm sure I'll try it again someday, but there's a lot of other food I'll be smoking first. It was just something I wanted to try, I did it, and now I know.

Ontrack

And now I'll add this: I had a few smoked patties left over from Sunday night and had them last night(Monday). They were delicious! They were exactly like I had hoped they would be, just nuked them for a minute or so.The perfect smoked flavor. Like everything else I've smoked in the Bradley, if I'm lucky enough to have any leftovers, they are much better the second day. I'm sure I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know. Anyway, after Sunday meal that was just not quite as good as I expected, lasts nights' made up for it and changed my perspective on smoking burgers. End of story.

iceman

Quote from: Ontrack on October 02, 2007, 03:32:28 PM
And now I'll add this: I had a few smoked patties left over from Sunday night and had them last night(Monday). They were delicious! They were exactly like I had hoped they would be, just nuked them for a minute or so.The perfect smoked flavor. Like everything else I've smoked in the Bradley, if I'm lucky enough to have any leftovers, they are much better the second day. I'm sure I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know. Anyway, after Sunday meal that was just not quite as good as I expected, lasts nights' made up for it and changed my perspective on smoking burgers. End of story.
End of story???
Ontrack I'm happy to inform you this is only the begining my friend, so hang on to your waist size cause it's gonna try and run away from you real fast! :D ;D ;)

Ontrack

Hey Iceman--Wait, hold on, I meant the end of the HAMBURGER story! I thought I kind of rambled on about the burgers, which I didn't even cold smoke as I said when I started the thread. But you guys will be seeing me around here for a long time! This forum has taught me so much (and already increased my belt size), and I have no intention of "ending the story". I have only been on one other forum in my life(NASCAR on Speedtv.com), and was locked out for life on the second night when I told some snotty-nosed teenaged know it all punk where he could shove his useless opinion. So, it's a great pleasure to be welcomed into a group of people who know what they're talking about!

Steve

Tiny Tim

Hey Ontrack...there's a semi-decent NASCAR forum at racingstalkers.com that I'm a member of.  Gotta have some thick skin, but if you ignore poster "Bill", you'll be alright.

iceman

Wow Ontrack that sounds like one forum to stay away from.  :o I belong to a few that are sort of like that. They expect you to be an expert on everything and when you ask questions (which I do often) they about bite your head off. Heck I got banned right off the bat just for posting in the wrong colume.   :D I just don't get it I guess. I thought forums were to discuss things and share knowledge, not lash out and criticize.
I think that's part of why the Bradley forum is so successful. You will probably never meet a better quality of people than you have here on this forum. It's become almost family to many folks and for good reason. I myself have to say I've made some very, very good friends here and have been lucky enough to meet some of them and share some fun. It's a nice place you decided to join and your imput is valued very much as is everyone elses so keep on smoking and posting buddy. ;D :)

Ontrack

Thanks Tim and Iceman, you hit the nail on the head. I've become spoiled by reading and posting on the Bradley forum, where I can learn something new and not have to argue with anybody about anything. I'm old school NASCAR (mid 70's), and I'm not going to lay down to some know it all. So, I think I'm just going to stick to this forum, soak in the knowledge, and hopefully I'll be able to help somebody out one of these days like everyone here has done for me.

begolf25

I tried the smoked burgers once and wasn't very happy with my results. I think I need to try Malc's recipe and finish them on the grill. I didn't like the consistency of doing them start to finish in the Bradley.

Ontrack

I agree 100% begolf. I wish I had put them on the grill for 20 minutes or so. I don't know if it was the fact that I used ground chuck, or if like you said it was a consistency problem, but I just wasn't real satisfied the first night. But, like I stated in an earlier post, they were delicious as nuked leftovers the next night.