First attempt at Chicken Wing Drummies...

Started by beyondclarity, September 25, 2007, 12:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beyondclarity

Hey all -

I'm going to try making Chicken Wing Drummies this weekend for the first time and looking for any quick pointers...

I plan to rub the wings with Walkerswood Jerk seasoning paste (http://www.walkerswood.com/product_detail.asp?pID=1) and let them sit for a couple of hours before the smoke.  The Scotch Bonnet peppers in that paste have such a spicy good flavour!

I'm guessing I'll smoke for about 2 hours with 3.5-5 lbs. of wings.  (I'll also have 3 racks of baby back ribs in the smoker at this time).

Once the wings come out I'll use the FTC method until we're about ready to eat.

About 25 mins prior to eating time - I'll toss the wings in buffalo sauce and place them on the grill.

Anyone see any major flaws in that plan?

Also - If you've never had jerk seasoned wings tossed in buffalo sauce I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

Thanks!!!

Wildcat

The only thing I can think of to mention is that if you fully cook the wings in the BS, the skin will turn out like rubber.  I recommend that you just smoke them a bit and then on to the grill for finish.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

beyondclarity

Thanks for the tip - how long do you think is good?  Maybe an hour of smoking?

kiyotei

my experience with chicken breasts is that they seem to pick up a lot of smoke flavor.  I would think an hour would be fine.  I cook the breasts for about two hours which provides a bit too much smoke.  I did 6 breasts last night with a mix of maple and cherry for 2 hours and then finished on the grill.  I could have moved them after an hour I think and still had great results.

Habanero Smoker

You can't go wrong with Walkerswood Jerk paste.

I see nothing wrong with your plan. You can fully cook the wings in the smoker, wings have enough fat that the skin will crisp up on the grill. Dusting them with cornstarch  prior to grilling will give them an added crunch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 25, 2007, 02:02:50 PMDusting them with cornstarch  prior to grilling will give them an added crunch.

Just to highlight Hab's tip above. Does not take a lot for some moisture control.  Keeping the vent full open with chicken is a second tip from Hab's also that has been helpful for me.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)