Cleaning My BS

Started by Cruzino, November 01, 2004, 12:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzino

Hi Everyone.  

I've been thinking about getting a BS for several months and finally decided to do it.  So I got my new unit yesterday, built it and cured it for 2 hours and today just did my first smoking.  (We haven't eaten it yet so I don't know how good it'll be!)  

But I am confused as to how clean I should get the smoker afterwards and how often I should clean it.  What I did after the curing was to clean all of the racks, the flat drip pan, the triangular pan and the water bowl.  I didn't clean the walls of the smoker itself as that sounds like it would ruin the effect I just had by curing the smoker.

Should I clean all of the racks everytime?  Just some of them?  Should I clean the walls ever?  If so, how often?  If I don't clean the walls, will the flavors of previous smoking woods that have stuck to the walls affect the taste of my future smokes?  

If anyone could list out exactly what they clean and how often they clean it, that would be great.

Thanks!

BigSmoker

Cruzino,
I only really clean the racks and V shaped drip pan and I do it in the dishwasher just with the above mentioned.  I just rinse the bowl and wipe it out.  I don't take out the overflow bottom pan unless it overflows.  Make sure to wipe the door seals and where the seals touch the unit after every smoke with a rag or paper towels soaked with hot water.  This will make sure the door seals don't stick to the smokin' box itself..  Keep the puck pathway clean and use a shop vac or the like to suck up any loose wood debris when necessary.  Always crack the top vent some during a hot smoke to let some of the moisture and smoke out or you will have moisture running out the bottom of the door where the heat control unit wiring is and your smoke will go back thru the smoke generator which could cause over time for the advance button and advance mechanism to stick or become all gummy.  Happy Smokin'.

P.S.  Just checked my cover and it is actually a little longer than the unit itself.  I guess make sure you have it turned the right way?  Also I would not leave it sitting directly on the ground.  Maybe four bricks?  Mine sits under my porch on the wood and I have not had any problems with it, but rain never gets underneath it.  Some folks have carts and other stuff to roll theirs around with[;)].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

whitetailfan

Basically just the removable parts and the door seal get cleaned.  Clean up your smoke generator by dry wiping wood pieces off.  I sometimes use compressed air to blow out the wood pieces.
Try this linkhttp://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=303&SearchTerms=clean

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Cruzino