Leaky DBS

Started by Freddy, October 03, 2007, 06:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freddy

I'm a rookie with a 6-rack digital smoker. 2/4 smokes so far have resulted in a puddle of liquid/drippings around my smoker. Has anyone had this happen before?

Gizmo

Common cause for this is having the V tray in upside down.  The lower part of the tray should be point down just like the letter V shows.  The purpose is to collect the drippings and deposit them into the bowl.  If that is positioned correctly then some more information is needed.  What type of liquid is collecting?  Could be water moisture from the meat products collecting on the side walls and running down.  That could be caused by the vent on top not being open enough.  Should be open 1/4 of the way at a minimum for most things.  Chicken can use 3/4 to full open.

Post up some details to help us help you.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

Freddy,

Welcome to the forum. Is your V tray installed correctly? Should be: \/ and not /\. Otherwise, it pushes drippings to the outer edges of the box and door, instead of channeling to the bowl.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Freddy

The v tray is correctly installed but I have been closing the vent. So thanks- it sounds like opening it up might correct the problem. What are the general recommendations re: the vent? Closed vs open  for what meats/ benefits? Thanks.

Gizmo

The first indicator of not having it open far enough is if smoke is backing up into the smoke generator.  Start with 1/4 to 1/2 open for most things like beef briskets and pork butts.  It is some what of a learning experience to dial it in but in my experiences, the exact position has not been critical as long as you keep the smoke out of the generator.  As I mentioned earlier, 3/4 to full open for the wet birds and when doing Jerky.   :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Welcome to the forum Freddy...nice to have you aboard!!

iceman

Quote from: La Quinta on October 03, 2007, 08:11:24 PM
Welcome to the forum Freddy...nice to have you aboard!!
Yep What La Quinta said. Welcome aboard.

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum Freddy!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hillbillysmoker

Welcome Freddy, Nice to have you with us on the forum.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Fred;

Welcome to the forum.

You may also want to raise the front of your smoker about 1/4" higher than the rear. If you encounter this problem again, the fluid will collect in the bottom tray and not run out the front making a mess and staining your deck.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

begolf25

Welcome to the forum Freddy!