Making my first smoker!

Started by Bubblejunkie, October 10, 2007, 03:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubblejunkie

Picked up a nice size insulated biscuit oven box from a fastfood restuarant today. I think it will work great wish I could add a picture.

Heres my question after installing the smoke generator, what else do I have to add? Do I have to add some kind of heating element?

Thanks alot

Consiglieri

Not sure what a biscuit oven box is, but I'm assuming it's an insulated box, and not an oven.

If my assumption is correct, there's a lot you'll want to consider besides a Bradley smoke generator.  That generator will be great for applying smoke to whatever is in the box, but won't be sufficient to cook anything in the box.  In that regard you probably will want to add a heat element and some type of temperature control if you plan to hot smoke.  I'll leave wiring/fusing advice to others.  I haven't cold smoked anything, but I'm sure others will chime in on that front.

You'll also want to make sure there's some type of vent to exhaust the smoke and prevent the moisture/smoke from backing up into your generator (gunking it up).

You'll probably want to consider some type of grease control/drip system.  Bradley uses a V shaped pan to collect drippings and route them to a pan of water in the base (which also extinguishes the spent wood pucks). 

Hope that's helpful.  Good luck with your project. 
Consiglieri

Bubblejunkie

Thanks alot, it was a box of some type from Hardees has a small fan and broken heating element in the bottom, they used it to make bisquits.

I'm going to clean it up tomarrow and start the project. I'll post a picture as soon as I figure out how too. Probably help people better answer some of questions.

So where do I buy a heating element and temperature control? Do I want electric or propane??

Again Thanks alot I'm really excited about this I borrowed a little chef toy smoker the other day and now I really want a good smoker I give tons of stuff, mostly fish, away to be smoked, I'd like to try my own. Soon

Habanero Smoker

There are several members that have made their own smokers, so I'm sure you will be getting a lot of good advice.

You can't post picture directly to the forum; you need to store the photos on another site, and insert a code in your post so that the photo will be displayed. I use Photobucket. It's easy to use, and they generate the code for you. You just need to copy the code and paste it in your post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bubblejunkie

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 11, 2007, 03:38:33 AM
You can't post picture directly to the forum; you need to store the photos on another site, and insert a code in your post so that the photo will be displayed. I use Photobucket. It's easy to use, and they generate the code for you. You just need to copy the code and paste it in your post.

Yea I'm at best, computer challenged I'll keep reading and hope I get some good replies. Thanks alot

Oldman

QuoteI'm going to clean it up tomarrow and start the project. I'll post a picture as soon as I figure out how too
Your images need to be hosting on a server for you to post them. If you don't have a server then E-mail them to me and I will host them for you and then E-mail back the coding that you will need to copy / paste into your posting.

E-mail them to [email protected] If  you don't hear from me in a few days then post to me here that you E-mailed them.  I have new filters on my mail server and so far everyone's legit E-mails has gotten through. However, you never know; yours might be the one that the filters don't like.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Stickbowcrafter

Sounds interesting, hope you get some pics up.

-Brian