The first cheese...

Started by Ontrack, October 11, 2007, 05:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

I just cold smoked and vac sealed 5 lbs of sharp cheddar and 3 lbs of pepper jack. I did 2 hours of hickory, almost closing the vent completely for the last puck since my cab temps were in the low 70s. I've read on here that eating the cheese right off the smoker has an "ash tray" taste. Well, of course I had to try a piece or two. It was good, only tasting like a clean ashtray with a couple of fresh cigarette butts in it. (Don't ask me how I know this-I lost a lot of crazy bets in my younger days, and ain't doing a whole lot better now). I'm going to leave it untouched in the fridge for as long as I can, but I'm sure I'll be in it before the weekend is over. I'd say I'll give away more than I eat, because this Bradley sure is messing with my waistline, just like you guys warned me. Plus, I have a 7 lb brisket ready to go on tommorrow night. I'll let you guys know my opinion (and my lucky friends) of how the cheese turns out. I think it's going to be pretty darned good!

manxman

Hahaha, sounds good Ontrack.  ;) ;D

If you can manage to leave it a minimum of 36 - 48 hours then I think you will notice a big improvement from the initial "clean ashtray with a couple of fresh cigarette butts in" taste!

I try and leave mine a week before eating but rarely last that long!  :-[
Manxman

Malc

10 days was perfect for me.  Just a matter of taste I guess.  Pepper jack was my favorite of the cheeses I have smoked.  A brand from Vermont called Cabot was particularly good.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Ontrack

Thanks, guys. I think I'll be safe up to the 48 hours, hopefully a couple of days more. But Malc, I'd say I'll be lucky to have any left in 10 days...

Ontrack

6 days later...it's great! Just ate a few slices of the cheddar and it's really good-even the wife likes it. We tried a few pieces after day 3 and it was still a little too smoky (the cheddar was much smokier than the pepper jack). It wasn't bad on a cracker with summer sausage, but a little harsh to eat alone. I was actually getting a little worried that I used too much smoke, but after today I'm very satisfied and wouldn't change a thing.

Habanero Smoker

Either the Monterrey Jack or cheddar will make great melted cheese sandwiches. Preheat a frying pan, iron pan if you have one (griddle works better). Shred about four ounces of smoked cheese. Butter two slices of bread; one side only. Put one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down. Pile on the shreded cheese. Lightly press down the cheese with your hand to flatten the top. Add two slices of tomato that has been sliced thin, sprinkle on some oregano and garlic powder. Top with the other slice of bread, buttered side up. Press the bread down with a spatula, not to forceful. When the bottom slice is golden brown, flip the sandwich over, and continue to cook until the other side is golden brown.

These are great. Shreding the cheese helps it to melt better, and the smoke flavor is more evenly distributed throughout the sandwich.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ontrack

Man, Habs, I wish I would have read that before I ate tonight. That sounds right up my alley. I bet I try it tomorrow, though. Thanks very much for the recipe and I'll let you know what I think. I know I'm gonna love it though, because I eat alot of grilled cheese sandwiches.

Habanero Smoker

They are very easy to make. Just one correction in the recipe, the cheese should be shreded not grated. I've corrected that in my last post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ontrack

Gotcha Habs, thanks. If the wife gets home soon, I'm gonna make us a couple. If she doesn't, I'm gonna make me a couple.

Ontrack

Hey Habs-I followed your grilled cheese recipe (exactly) and they were delicious! I did only the cheddar this time, next time the pepper jack. Sure would be tough to have to go back Kraft American cheese slices again after eating this. Thanks again!

iceman

Quote from: Ontrack on October 19, 2007, 10:47:02 AM
Hey Habs-I followed your grilled cheese recipe (exactly) and they were delicious! I did only the cheddar this time, next time the pepper jack. Sure would be tough to have to go back Kraft American cheese slices again after eating this. Thanks again!
If Hab likes it, it's gotta be good!!! ;D ;)

Ontrack

Hey Iceman-Hab is not the only one who likes it. Even my picky wife thought they were great. She didn't like the idea of tomatoes on hers, but after she took a couple of bites of mine, she wanted hers the same way!

Habanero Smoker

My mind has been like mush lately. I'm juggling too many projects. I forgot to add you can also do them open faced under a broiler.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ontrack

Don't worry Hab, my mind is made of mush. I think I'll just do 'em like you said the first time, because I really don't see how they could be any better--plus, it seems like any open-faced sandwich I make ends up more in my lap or in the floor than in my mouth.

Ontrack

Hey Hab, me again-I ate another one tonight per your first recipe--only added a thin layer of mayo on both slices of bread and just a touch more oregano-Orgasmic!!!