NEED ADVICE FOR SMOKING DEER ROAST

Started by Wildcat, October 18, 2007, 03:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

I have just been given two deer roasts.  Although I have eaten tons of venison, I have never personally smoked/cooked any.  Looking for some recommendations, especially regarding cabinet temp for smoking and meat temp for medium well or well done.  I am, of course, assuming that deer roasts are suitable for smoking.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Forgot to mention - both roasts are from the ham section.

owrstrich

today them deer roasts were tornado bait...

craizy aint it...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Wildcat

With all the game hunters on this forum I am surprised that none of them could respond.  Not to worry, I can probably find out the info I need from one of my pit smoker friends and simply wing it in the BS.  I did like your reply O.  We had a tornado or two here as well.

Duster

Napanee Indiana got hit had Thursday night it's only 20 miles from home :o Too close for comfort for me. I guess it tore up all kind of things.

agent provocateur

we were on our way to warsaw for the dirt track races...

we stopped off in rochester at the streamliner for a breaded tenderloin sandwich and onion rings...

we hit a rough rail road crossing and i spilled bong water all over the car...

it was then we realized we were in nappanee... a full 25 miles past warsaw...

so we stopped at the dairy queen there on market street for pecan carmel blizzards...

we never found our way back to warsaw... we stopped off at this barn to take a pizze... we spent all night looking for a corner to pizze in... freaking round barns pizze me off...

those were the days...

ap

coyote

Hey Wilcat , Mabey cold smoke for an hour or so depends on size and then put in pan with potatos,
carrots, onions, celry and half cover with beef stock......(Oh yea , Season well first.)
Start at 350 o for an hour and then drop to 225 for 5 or 6 hours depending on size of roast.
I do it this way with a full hind quarter. Big diposable baking pan and cover with foil. I put it in at 10pm
and take it out around 8am.......What time's dinner ?

Coyote

Duster

Well AP parts of that dairy queen have been found as far north as deerborn MI and the rest is scattered all over Nananne. Or at least that is what I've heard.

And Wiled Cat congrats on your recent win from olds and I need to say sorry for getting off the subject of your deer roast on this thread. I Have never done venison in the Bradly before but I am looking forward to hearing how it turns out for you. Also while I'm at it i would like to extend a special thanks to olds for his contest.

LilSmoker

Hi Wildcat, like you, i have eaten deer/venison many times, but have never actually cooked it?   ??? anyway after reading your post i was reminded that amongst other things, i have two pieces of venison in the freezer.

Anyway, i found this recipe, and quite like the sound of it, i think it would adapt well with the Bradley?

I won't have a chance to try it for a couple of weeks or so, but in case you want to give it a shot, here it is:

1 cup non-iodized salt
1 Tbs sage
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs ground cloves
1 Tbs tarragon
1 Tbs soy sauce
4 Tbs black pepper
1 Tbs thyme
1 Tsp white pepper
2 bay leaves

Combine the above ingredients in a 2-quart plastic container and add water until full. Cap and shake well to dissolve the salt and sugar. Using a fork or knife, puncture the meat several times to allow the marinade to penetrate more completely. Place the meat in a plastic bowl and cover with the marinade. Marinade in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, turning the meat each day. Remove the meat from the marinade and place back in the refrigerator on a plate for 1 hour, uncovered. Light one half of a gas grill and place a metal container full of hickory chips just above the flame. Once the grill is smoking well, place the meat on the cool side of the grill. The idea is to cook very, very slowly using indirect heat. Smoke with 2-3 pans of hickory chips and allow to continue cooking until a temperature of at least 165°F is reached in the center of the meat (about 4 hours). If you have a smoker/cooker, just follow the directions included with it. Remove from the grill and let cool. Slice thinly with a sharp knife and store refrigerated in a zip-lock bag. You will only have to store it for a short time as it is bound to be consumed quickly!

I don't have any first hand experience with this recipe, but i have seen it on a few sites, and it's always highly recommended.

Regards..........LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

huhwhatliar

Wildcat here is a recipe my friends use, it is not for a Bradley but can be adapted. I had this a few time and is very good.

Smoked Venison recipe
Venison (any cut)
Dry wine
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon black pepper
Sour cream
Hot pepper jelly

Marinate venison in wine for at least 24 hours.
Prepare a light fire in covered grill. Place meat on spit and cook, basting with sauce made with oil, lemon juice and black pepper. When the meat gets warm, add wet hickory chips to the fire (and more briquettes as necessary to keep an even heat). Smoke venison for 3 hours with continued basting.
Remove meat from spit and baste with wine. Wrap in foil and allow meat to cool to room temperature. Reheat, when ready to serve, in foil for 20 minutes at 250 degrees F.
To serve, place a dab of sour cream and a teaspoon of hot pepper jelly on each piece of meat.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

Wildcat

Thanks guys.  It may be a few more days or even a week or two before I get around to doing this.  These two roasts are fairly good sized (I think).  They were placed in large zip lock type plastic bags, filled with water and then frozen.  The way many of us freeze fish to preserve the freshness.  Since it is now just my wife and I at home I will probably thaw one at a time and cut in half, smoke/cook both, eat one and re-freeze the other.

LS, huhwhatliear, and coyote, I like the looks of all three of these.  I prefer mild pepper jelly which I happen to have and LS I may substitue soy for worcestershire sauce.  Coyote, I will save your version, which is what I do with many beef roasts for when we will be out all day.  Will do the same except I will cold smoke one day, wrap and fridge, than next day sear in skillet and then slow cook in crockpot.

Still available for more on this subject.  Will probably get more deer in about a month.

smokin stu

I would have responded earlier, but it is deer season don'tcha know..

I cooked up a venison roast by cutting off as much of the fat as possible (not much there to begin with), I injected the roast with creole butter injectable juice and then rolled the roast in Montreal Steak Spice.  To add a bit more moisture, I threw a pound of bacon on the top rack.  I smoked for four hours and cooked until it hit 160......  next time I will try 170 or 180....  I was worried it would be too dry.

It was good eats even though it was an old buck to begin with.

Next time I will try and marinate in a vinegar based marinade to break up the meat a bit more.....

Wildcat

Another good suggestion.  I also saw NePa's post for jerky.  Thanks.

Stickbowcrafter

Dry Rub

1/4 cup black pepper
2 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp white pepper
1.5 tsp ground thyme
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Grind everything into a coarse, semi fine powder, and rub all over the roast. Wet the meat beforehand slightly with a little yellow mustard or water to help the rub to stick.

Set your Bradley to 250 F/120 C. When the internal temperature of the roast has reached 115 F/46 C, remove it from the smoker, and put in a preheated 400 F/200 C oven for 15 minutes. After that, wrap in foil for 30 minutes before carving.

-Brian

Wildcat

Thanks Brian.  It looks really good, but with my wife I will need it to be at least medium well.  Any idea on what internal temp would be for well done?  If I do this at lower cooking temps will it get tough like beef?  I am also thinking of draping some bacon over the beast.  I am going to try all of these over time.