My New Cold Smoke Setup...

Started by Mr Walleye, October 20, 2007, 08:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane

Turkey had been the most noticed problem but last weekend I did 2 racks of ribs and it took awhile to get the temp back up to 210. once I finally did than I couldnt control it. it varied anywhere from 185 to 235. Ive never had much trouble reachin desired pit temps with pork butts. I dont believe its a problem with the unit.  Just seems to me that when the heated element on the bradley shuts off it takes a long time for it to get glowing red again and large temp swings are the direct result.   How does the DigiQ keep these large temp swings in check?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Kane on January 30, 2008, 03:14:41 AM
How does the DigiQ keep these large temp swings in check?

Kane

Basically the DigiQ's software learns how to control your pit temps. This is similar to the PID except the DigiQ will continually learn. The ability to continually learn is great because there really aren't two smokes that are the same, either the outside temp is different, you have a bigger load, the wind is blowing. I don't have the DigiQ but I have been lookin'  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

To add to Mikes posts, it is not a simple off/on action. If you watch the pilot lites, once your set temperature is reached your will see that it pulses the heat on and off. To maintain the correct temperature. At times, it will completely shut off the heat element to maintain the set temperature, this generally occurs if there is an additional heat source other than the element. That additional heat source can be the generator or direct sun light shining on the cabinet. Overall it is extremely accurate, and if you have a ham in the smoker that you want to smoke at 80°F you can leave it over night and not have to worry about the cabinet going any lower or higher; even with the changes in ambient temperatures.

I was on the BBQ Guru website today, and saw that anyone with a Bradley made after 2007 needs to call. I would suspect that it has to do with the change of power from the cabinet to the generator. That cord will not plug into the back of the Raptor; they may suggest you purchase the proper cord when you order.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kane

ok, thanks guys. Im gonna call and order tomorrow. I think it will help me but I also just happen to like cool new toys!  ;D

how do I know if I have a unit built pre 2007?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Kane on January 30, 2008, 04:15:13 PM
ok, thanks guys. Im gonna call and order tomorrow. I think it will help me but I also just happen to like cool new toys!  ;D

how do I know if I have a unit built pre 2007?

Kane

I would take note of the required plug on the back of the tower then phone them just to make sure things are correct.

As far as the cool new toys go.... I hear ya!  ;)  8) Ya gotta love the toys!

Mike

Habanero Smoker

It will have this type of cord that connects the cabinet to the generator.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=1015&sku=03141

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kane

Hey Hab, yup that is the plug I have - male end to the generator and female end to the tower. so I guess Ill be safe to say I have pre 2007 and I can go ahead and place my order via the websight.

thanks for the help

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Kane on January 31, 2008, 01:42:01 PM
Hey Hab, yup that is the plug I have - male end to the generator and female end to the tower. so I guess Ill be safe to say I have pre 2007 and I can go ahead and place my order via the websight.

thanks for the help

Ummm, that's the cord for the 2007 and later, not pre-2007......  Just don't want you to get the wrong item.

Kane

thanks Tim. it sounded as tho Hab was sayin pre 2007s would have that type cable. I called BBQ Guru and talked to someone in sales and he knows there was some type of issue with plug type but wasnt sure what. tech guy wasnt in but he said he didnt think it was a BIG problem

Kane

well. I talked to a tech guy at BBQ Guru. It doesnt sound like they have had any experience with the type of cable the 2007 BDS is using. He asked for a pic of it and I directed him to this thread.  He said he wasnt sure how the raptor would connect with this kind of cable. most likely we would have to find some sort of adaptor to make it a standard type plug. He is gonna talk to the boss about it and decide what they can do if anything. said they will call Me back.  :'(

Tiny Tim

If you're just running the tower with it, an old computer power cord will work, but you'll need an additional outlet (at least that's how I have my PID hooked up...don't know how the digi/raptor combo goes).

NePaSmoKer

Very nice setup Mike.

I need to do something like that with the shed this summer.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

I'm surprised that they are not aware of their own ordering system. Maybe the ordering department would have been the best route to go, hopefully they would have had a flow chart that would indicate the reason for the call. That company just doesn't make temperature control devices for barbecuing. They make temperature control devices for a multitude of equipment; BBQ Guru is only a small department.

Like Tiny Tim states, the change of cord is just replacing your existing cord with a computer power cord. But it is best to call to find out if there is another reason. Also as Tim points out, you will also need more outlets. You will need a power strip (surge protector is best) because you will need an outlet for the generator, one for DigiQ, one for the Raptor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kane

I agree with nepas. Mike has a sweet setup! very clean workmanship. Is cold smoking mostly what you do Mike?

Mr Walleye

Thanks guys.

I do a bit of cold smoking and hope to do more in the future but also to be able to maintain lower temps for making sausage, etc. Another bonus is, because its in my heated garage I want to elminate any risk of fire. Although this risk is small, by having the generator separate there is much less chance of having the burnt pucks pile up, not get extinguished and cause a grease fire. Like I said I haven't heard of this happening very often but I just wanted to eliminate it because of my set up.

Mike