Pulled Pork Questions

Started by Eo0014, December 13, 2008, 06:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eo0014

Once upon a time I think I saw something about using a two hours per pound for a pork
shoulder in the BS.  Am I correct?  I have an 8 lb shoulder going in tomorrow night and
I'm trying to gauge the time.  I want to let it go overnight.

I'm thinking 3 hours smoke + 13 hours no smoke in Bradley.  Any thoughts?

Which store bought sauce is recommended?  I usually use KC masterpiece.

All ideas are welcome!

Smokin Soon

What kind of outside temps are you looking at?

Eo0014

40 - 45 degrees in NYC tomorrow

Smokin Soon

Your plan sounds good, hope you have some sort of way to monitor the meat temp, I do quite a few overnight smokes not really knowing when it will hit the mark. Most butts will not be so willing to come to temp at the same time. It's low and slow and watch the temp.

For a store bought sauce Stubbs is great! I will usually split a load of pulled pork and have some plain, some in a vaunted vinigar and some in bbq sauce.
Happy Smokin!  ;D

Savannahsmoker

I do not know about the Bradley but in my Traeger an eight pound shoulder would be about 14 hours at 190 degrees for an internal temp of 210.

IKnowWood

You really need to watch the temps.  The factors have a lot to do with the density or thickness of the meat.  I got 26 lbs last week and smoked it on Thursday, four Butts, each around 7-8 lbs each.  I took the bones out in the smallest incision possible.  Two had the bon on the end, the other two were in the center.  I used the largest Butt with the most in-cut material as my thermal baseline.  I started the smoke at 1PM Thursday (that was with a counter rest of the butts starting at Noon)  I took them out done at 188 degree's at 1:45 PM Friday.  I ran at 205 degrees almost all night.  The last few hrs I bumped it slightly to 215.

I did 8 hrs Pecan.  Yes I like the taste of Wood.

They came out excellent.  I sampled it Sunday when I pulled it.  90% of the meat is heading to a Party this coming Thursday.  Its pulled and sitting in a bag blending its flavors.

So if you figure I had 21 lbs (assuming about 6lbs of bone) It took 25 hours about.  So watch your temperatures and give your self windows.  After a while the science and art of this will come to light.  Or at least gives you a reason to get another beer as you work on it.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes