pa deer Bologna

Started by CLAREGO, October 23, 2007, 04:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

anyone out there have a recipe for some pa Deer Bologna the sweet stuff. Any pa hunters get any deer during early muzzle loader or Archery ?

CLAREGO

or anyone know of a otc cure for some Bologna

Stickbowcrafter

For 10 lbs:

7 lbs venison
3 lbs pork butts
1 tsp ground white pepper
3 Tbs ground mustard
1 Tbs ground celery
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground corriander
1 tsp garlic powder
4.5 Tbs powdered dextrose
2 cups soy protein concentrate
2 cups ice water
2 tsp Instacure #1 (DQ Curing salt #1, Prague Powder #1, pink salt)
4 Tbs salt

Grind meat through 3/16' grinder plate. Mix ingredients and distribute evenly, add water as you go. Bologna is usually stuffed into 8" diameter casings but 3.5", 5" or any size that is handy will work too. Hang at room temperature until casings are dry. PLace in preheated smoker at 165 degrees. until internal temp reaches 150 degrees. Remove and cool in a water bath until internal temp is brought down to around 90 degrees. This type of bologna is usually not smoked. If you like a more store bought look, be sure to emulsify the meat while grinding.

-Brian

sherlock

Makes me hungary....

Not having deer available, I was wondering if beef or some other commercially avaible meat would be good.

Nathan

Stickbowcrafter

Replace the venison with a very lean beef in the above recipe for great results.

-Brian

CLAREGO

hey stick where you find that lol thanks im a little confused is (#1 (DQ Curing salt #1, Prague Powder #1, pink salt) 2 tsp each ? are you from pa and have you tried it smoked ?

Tiny Tim

Quote from: TheCLAREGO on November 10, 2007, 06:48:08 AM
hey stick where you find that lol thanks im a little confused is (#1 (DQ Curing salt #1, Prague Powder #1, pink salt) 2 tsp each ? are you from pa and have you tried it smoked ?

I think I can answer this one for ya.  Those items are all basically the same thing, just different names, so just 2 tsp of whichever one you can find.

CLAREGO

Stickbowcrafter

Yes, Tim is correct. They're all the same but carry a different name depending on where you buy them. If you are confused, ask if it's pink salt when you order, that's the general name.

I have two sausage/charcuterie books here: Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas and Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman. I found the bologna recipe in the first book but both books have great recipes and great info. I have done a few dozen recipes from both books and never had a disappointment.

Yes, I live in southwest Pennsylvania, between Pittsburgh and the Ohio line.

-Brian

Habanero Smoker

You also have to be careful when you ask for "pink salt". I am beginning to see terms such as "pink salt #1" which is Cure #1, Instacure #1, Prague Powder #1 etc; and "pink salt #2" which is Cure #2, Instacure #2, Prague Powder #2 etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Habs brought up a good point. Ak Butcher supply used to sell both under the "pink salt" name and ran into some real big problems with folks that didn't know the differance.
Now it's labeled Prague 1 and Prague 2.

CLAREGO

haaah anybody see any deer in central pa this is getting ridiculous

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: TheCLAREGO on December 08, 2008, 06:57:07 AM
haaah anybody see any deer in central pa this is getting ridiculous

Them deers up here in nepas area out back or in front  ;D

nepas

pensrock

The only deer I have been seeing are a doe and two fawns in the back yard. Haven't seen a buck yet.  :'(
I have seen several bull elk though. I'd love to get a chance to tag one of them!  ;D

hillbillysmoker

Here's a simple recipe that I really like...

Deer Bologna

8 lbs. Deerburger
2 lbs Hamburger(with little fat, not lean)
3/4 cup Morton tender quick salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. Black pepper
2 tsp. Mustard powder
½ tsp.onion salt
½ garlic powder
½ tsp.mace
1 tsp. Dried red pepper
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 ounces liquid smoke

Mix all together, let sit overnite in fridge. Stuff in tubes, bake at 225 degs. For 4 hrs, turn rolls every ½ hour.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes