Made some Thuringer sausage over the weekend

Started by Stickbowcrafter, October 23, 2007, 11:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

I just can't get enough of the recipes in Charcuterie and this past weekend, I had success with another one. I decided to try the smoked Thuringer sausage recipe. I still have a good bit of feral pork left from the wild hogs I got in South Carolina this past spring.

4 pounds (1.75 kg) boneless pork shoulder
1/2 cup (80 g) Fermento
1 pound (450 g) pork back fat, diced
1-1/2 oz (40 g) kosher salt (3 Tbl)
1 teaspoon (6 g) pink salt
2 tablespoons (20 g) dextrose
2 teaspoons (8 g) black peppercorns, soaked for at least 1 hr in warm water
1/2 teaspoon (2 g) dry mustard
2 teaspoons (8 g) ground corriander

Grind the pork shoulder through large die into bowl set in ice. Do not grind diced fat.

Dissolve Fermento in just enough water, 1/4 to 1/2 cup (60 to 125 ml) to make a thin paste. Add to meat, along with other ingredients, and mix thoroughly by hand.

Pack mixture in pan or plastic container, press out any air pockets. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down so that it touches the meat so no air gets to it. Refrigerate for 3 days.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

The mixture should have a nice red color to it after 3 days. Regrind the mixture through the small die. Saute a bite size piece, taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

Stuff the sausage into casings (inedible fibrous casings pictured).

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Hang on smoke sticks and let dry for 10 hours at room temperature (65 to 70 degrees F/18 to 21 degrees C). I have a digital temperature switch on my OBS so I hung them in the smoker to dry with the top vent completely open with the temperature switch set at 65 degrees F.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Cold smoke the sausages at the lowest possible temperature, ideally below 100 degrees F/37 degrees C for 5 hours. I used hickory bisquettes for the entire smoke. The color change after the cold smoke is amazing.

Raise the temperature of the smoker to 180 degrees F/82 degrees C and bring the sausages to an internal temperature of 150 degrees F/65 degrees C.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

I like to dip my sausages in boiling water to shrink the casings then transfer to an ice bath to chill completely. Refrigerate afterwards.

Here's the finished product.

You can serve this delicious sausage with cheese and crackers or by itself. Enjoy!

-Brian

iceman

Super good looking sausage Stickbow. I am really getting hungry for some good home made salami's and snack sticks.
Good job.  ;)

Tiny Tim

I'm getting ready to make some Summer Sausage, but was wondering how to make Thuringer, as that's one of my favorites to pick up at the meat counter at the local Fareway Store.  Great timing Stick.....also looks very tasty.

Duster

Wildcat

OK - I'm impressed.  Do you need my shipping address?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

That looks great! I bet some cold smoked cheese with that over a good cracker would be out of this world!

LilSmoker

Looks fantastic Brian! great pics also

Excuse me while i have a bit of drooling time      

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

begolf25

Quote from: Wildcat on October 23, 2007, 03:47:17 PM
OK - I'm impressed.  Do you need my shipping address?

Can I add mine to the list also..lol. They look great Brian!

Stickbowcrafter

Thanks everyone. If I'm collecting addresses, I'll need orders too  ;D These things don't last long around here. Especially with regular visits to deer camp this time of year.

-Brian

sherlock

Brian

Makes my mouth water.

I wanted to make some myself. I have an order pending with Butcher & Packer and don't want order just "Fermento" from Allied Kenco and pay seperate shipping costs.

The rep at B & P says they don't carry fermento but they have ENCAPSULATED CITRIC ACID which does the same thing as fermento. The only thing is that he says to use only 1 1/2 oz per 25 lbs.

I am reluctent to believe him because of the quanities to be used for each.

1. Have you ever heard of this product?
2. Is he right?
3. should I go ahead and spring for A K's Fermento?

Thanks

Nathan

acords

Quote from: sherlock on December 06, 2007, 12:40:44 PM
Brian

Makes my mouth water.

I wanted to make some myself. I have an order pending with Butcher & Packer and don't want order just "Fermento" from Allied Kenco and pay seperate shipping costs.

The rep at B & P says they don't carry fermento but they have ENCAPSULATED CITRIC ACID which does the same thing as fermento. The only thing is that he says to use only 1 1/2 oz per 25 lbs.

I am reluctent to believe him because of the quanities to be used for each.

1. Have you ever heard of this product?
2. Is he right?
3. should I go ahead and spring for A K's Fermento?

Thanks

Nathan

I have used it, and it works very well.  It really adds a nice tang to the end product.  It is encapsulated in some sort of vegetable fat that does not melt until about 140 degrees.  This keeps the citric acid from overeacting with the meat during 4-8 hours of smoking/cooking.  Mix it in on the very last step (never through grinding plates) and try to do it gently to avoid breaking the fat.  I would follow the quantity listed by BP.  Good luck
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!