Results of smoke/fryed Chicken

Started by BigRed, November 01, 2004, 02:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRed

Fellow smoke nuts!

Well here is what I did this weekend and the results. Saturday, started with a 6 lb whole chicken. I cold smoked it with Hickory for 4-5 hrs. Took off wrapped in foil waiting for the next day to fry.

Sunday took some creole garlic injection (yes,I changed my mind)and hit the bird with it and let sit for 2 hours. Put together the NEW electric Turkey Fryer from SAM's. This thing is great! filled with peanut oil, took the temp. to what the book said 400 degress then got scared and turned it down to 375.  Put in smoked bird at 3 mins. per pound total of 18 minutes. Temp. of oil fell to 300 degrees ( in the past with the old fryer tryed to keep oil temp. at 325 degrees) Fryed for 20 minutes. No oil spill cook with the lid on.  Things were find up to this point took the bird out and it was black! Now I don't know if it was the pre-smoking or the injection. It was ugly. TASTE wise it was perfect. White meat cooked and moist. Dark meat a little red  by the bone but good.  Bird was cold when I put in the fryer could have fryed a few more minute that could have dropped the temp. ANY ideas on the black finish?

I still plan on doing the smoke/fryed Turkey at T-Day but concerned about the Black skin for presentation reasons. Sorry for the long e-mail but some folks wanted to know the outcome!!!!!!!

BigRED

Habanero Smoker

Glad your recipe worked. The color of the finished product is strange. I don't believe it is from the flavoring that was injected. I know other's who have injected flavorizors, and their fried turkey came out golden brown. For what it is worth, this is what I learned when I took a "Smoke Roasting" class. Remember I am not a chemist, and don't understand all the terms, just the basic process.

There are more than 300 different compounds produced from wood smoke. The most common components are phenols, organic acids, alcohol, carbonyl compounds, hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, oxygen, nitrogen, and nitrous oxide.

It is the carbonyl compounds that develop the color. These compounds combine with free amino groups in meat protein to form furfural compounds. Furfural compounds are dirty brown in color and are translucent. This is what gives the meat or poultry its color. The translucent color of the compounds combined with the color of the meat or poultry skin; gives the finished product its distinctive color. For example, when combined with the color of cooked cured meat, it will produce a reddish brown (or darker) color.

IMHO - It is possible that exposing the furfural compounds to a high temperature changed them from being translucent, to a solid dark color. In addition, during the smoking process organic acids cling to the meat and form an outside layer on the skin. So it could be these acids are either reacting to the heat, or maybe the oil. Just as a side note, these acids also prevent the growth of surface mold and bacteria. (Whew!! Glad I have my text book in front of me!!!)[^]

But my feeling is, "As long as it tastes good!"

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigSmoker

Big Red,
How 'bout trying a bird without presmoking or injecting and see how it turns out as far as skin color?  

Habanero Smoker,
Can you repeat that post in English?  Just kidding thanks for the info.  Where did you take the "smoke roasting" class?

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Many of us, including me, have deep fried turkey, and first injected it with some heat or spice.  Color is nice golden brown.  The black color is of issue.  I suspect if no other variables, it is the presmoke.  I don't understand it, but proof is in the end product.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Jeff,
I know what you mean. It is a lot easier to understand when someone is actually talking about it, and you are waiting for the food to get done[:p]. It was one of the non-credited courses I took at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America). The full name of the course was "Grilling and Smoke Roasting."

Now that I am rethinking this. With more than 300 different compounds, the possible causes for the color could be sky-high.[V] But, I believe the black color of the chicken has to do with the film of smoke formed on the outside of the skin.

BigRed;
Was the cavity of the bird also black? I'm glad that electric fryer is easy to use. I bought one, but haven't used it yet. How much peanut oil did the fryer take? I was going to pick up some peanut oil at Sam's, but they only sold the 35lb. container; which was a lot of oil. Also, do you reuse your oil? I saw someplace on the web that sold an oil pump and filter, that you use to pump the oil out of the fryer, through a filter for reuse. It that necessary, or is it better just to dump the oil?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigRed

Quote<i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Jeff,
I know what you mean. It is a lot easier to understand when someone is actually talking about it, and you are waiting for the food to get done[:p]. It was one of the non-credited courses I took at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America). The full name of the course was "Grilling and Smoke Roasting."

Now that I am rethinking this. With more than 300 different compounds, the possible causes for the color could be sky-high.[V] But, I believe the black color of the chicken has to do with the film of smoke formed on the outside of the skin.

BigRed;
Was the cavity of the bird also black? I'm glad that electric fryer is easy to use. I bought one, but haven't used it yet. How much peanut oil did the fryer take? I was going to pick up some peanut oil at Sam's, but they only sold the 35lb. container; which was a lot of oil. Also, do you reuse your oil? I saw someplace on the web that sold an oil pump and filter, that you use to pump the oil out of the fryer, through a filter for reuse. It that necessary, or is it better just to dump the oil?

H MAN!

Did I have you in the Chemistry classes I took! Wow! If there is so much stuff out there on the bird, I may be afraid to eat it! Yes the cavity was black also. I am leaning towards the pre-smoking which wsa done intentionally. I have fryed 6 or 7 turkeys non-smoked an although dark never turned black. I also think I smoked the chicken too long. Did it for 5 hours instead of 4 hours but the taste was excellent for me.

Now the New electric fryer. Takes the same amount as the propane fryer about 3 gallons. I got the oil at home Depot and paid 23.00 +. Cost has gone up from 18.00 and change last year. I always use to dump the oil but as the price is going up I am rethinking the issue. Now the oil I used yesterday I am going to put the lid on it and use again for Thanksgiving. After that frying it might be time to filter. IT all depneds on how often you fry. If it is only once a year than dump it. I have some friends that clean it drain it and into the refrig. This does take up beer and wine  space. I was really pleased with the electric fryer.  I suggest though you follow the instructions when it says to preheat and 400 degrees. Also get your bird or what ever you are going to fry close to room temp. My bird was a little cold and I turned down the oil heat.When I put the bird in I lost almost 100 degrees and it cooked at 300 degrees. You put the lid on when cooking. No oil spill!!! I did use my old frying thermometer to measure the degree of heat in the oil. ALL IN ALL A GOOD EXPERIMENT. I AM GOING TO PRESS ON WITH SMOKING AND FRYING A 14LB TURKEY along with the 3 ducks,prime rib and The stuffed Turkey in the oven. Now we will eat off this for 4 days. Let us know your experience with the electric fryer!! Thanks for the Chem. lesson!

BigRED

nsxbill

One of the big oil containers with handle and box is $31 at Sams.  I just checked the price two days ago here in California.  You need one of them.  I have an oil pump and filter that allows me to pump back into the container post frying to reuse the oil.  Not necessary to keep in refer.  I just keep it cool.  To make use of the oil, I do fried onion blossom-style for appetizers and have even done breaded shrimp appetizer....depends on whether on nor I am off or working Thanksgiving.  I am off this year, so anticipate smoking a ham, and deep-fying a Turkey.  Wife does traditional turkey, and we do a Coca-Cola Ham - a yearly tradition.  Looks ugly, but tastes great.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Smalls

Bill,
 Coca-Cola ham?  That sounds interesting.  What else do you put in, or is it straight Coke?  I did a ham one time with Ginger Ale, honey, maple syrup and Captain Morgan's spiced rum.  It turned out great and the flavors blended really well.
Bill

Habanero Smoker

Big Red;
I could only wish that I fully understood what I wrote. I was going by the literature I had. I just understand the basics - "Smoke cling to meat...Make meat taste good!"[:D]

Bill
Sam's has the same price in New York for that large container of peanut oil. What threw me off was there was no volume listed, at least none that I could find. I could only find the weight, which was listed as 35 lbs. Do you know the volume? It's looks to be about four gallons.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

nsxbill

One container of oil from Sam's is enough to do a 12-13 lb turkey.  I bought two, and wasted one last year.

Bill

nsxbill

Smalls (The other Bill)[:D]

Here is the recipe we use for Coca Cola Ham.  You could pre-smoke if desired.
Coca Cola Ham

Serving Size  : 12  

1     each               ham, trimmed of fat and scored -- pre cooked
32   ounces           Dole Pineapple
32   ounces           Peaches
8     ounces           Coke (or 12 oz) -- let it get flat
2      tablespoons  Cinnamon
1      tablespoon    ground nutmeg
1      cup                California Raisins

*Don't forget to score the ham all over (even at the bottom)  This is the trick to getting the flavor to permeate throughout the whole ham.

Run the peaches and the pineapple through the blender.   Leave a little course.  

Pour mixture over the ham along with 1/2 box brown sugar and the 8 ounces of Coke.

Use twice the cinnamon as nutmeg.  Generously sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the ham and in the pot.  

Cook 8 hours in covered pot on top of the stove. Leave the remaining mixture in the pot with the ham, and leave covered.

Remove Ham from mixture and cover with Reynold's Foil.

Add to the mixture on top of the stove one box of brown sugar, 1 cup of raisins and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon and 1/2 as much nutmeg.

Bring the mix to a boil.  Turn down to simmer.  Cook for approx 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.  When mixture is done, pour over the ham and return to oven @350 degrees for approx one hour.  

Leave uncovered and baste approximately every 30 minutes.  This should give the ham a nice glaze coating.

After cooking, cover with Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick foil and let sit for approx 30 minutes.

This ham is unbelievable!

Bill  

Smalls

Bill,
 Thanks for the advice on the ham, I will definitely try it!  Just to make sure I understand, you add the raisins to the sauce after you remove the ham?  Also, you add cinnamon and nutmeg at the beginning and to the sauce after you remove the ham? Thanks,
Bill

Smalls

Sorry Bill, one more question. Do you drain the peaches and pineapple first?
Bill

nsxbill

We add the raisins, et al to the mix after the long slow cook.  The stovetop time for the mix reduces the sauce and significantly thickens it and makes a nice carmelized sauce for basting.  Flavor is intense!

Serve some sauce with the ham on the side in a gravy boat.

I kid you not, this is absolutely delicious, but it is not low-cal!

Bill