Bradley's & Extreme Cold

Started by Doc Waters, October 29, 2007, 10:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Waters

BRRRRR

It's starting to get cold up here in the Great White North. My Bradley Digital is outside on a covered patio, so it wouldn't get wet or snowy, but I'm wondering about the cold. It can get to minus 40 degrees here. Will this destroy my smoker or it's electronics? Should I just haul it inside until spring and do my winter smoking on the charcoal bullet smoker?

Anyone had experience with this? Sure appreciate your input.

Doc

dick621

Hello Doc,   I would at least bring the smoke generator inside.  Cold causes the grease to stiffen up to where the puck advance wont work.  Dont know if it would effect the electronics or not.  Shouldnt  harm the tower tho.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Duster

Hey Doc
That sure is a nice looking trout 8) Anyway about your question, my OBS stays in an unheated garage but I'm in northern Indiana. we get can hit -10 degrees Fahrenheit but not often and my smoker hasn't seen it yet. Sorry I ain't much help. I would think that if you have room for it inside then let it sleep where it'll be comfortable and for using it in the cold weather, I think that if you can get your tower up to temp you should be fine.

KyNola

Bring the generator inside where it's warm! 

KyNola

Doc Waters

Thanks for the advise guys.

I think I'll just pack the whole thing inside for the winter. Not worth taking a chance with my new pride and joy. Now all I have to do is find a place to put it! Boy the little lady's gonna love this news.  ;)

Happy Smokin'

Doc

PS Duster: That porky rainbow trout is still swimming around in a lake in the BC interior. If you are ever up our way, let me know and I'll see if I can introduce you two.

How's your wife doing? Hope she is feeling much better.

Duster

Well Doc thanks for asking, She is on here way to recovery but still pretty weak. She came home today but is in bed resting. It feels good to have her back home.
As for your invite, I would absolutely love that unfortunately I don't get that far north very often.