JUST GOT MY DBS 4 RACK FROM CABELAS

Started by matwell, November 02, 2007, 10:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matwell

I AM NOW A SOMEWHAT PROUD OWNER OF A BRADLEY DIGITAL 4 RACK. I SAY SOMEWHAT PROUD BECAUSE THE BRADLEY SMOKER BOX I RECEIVED FROM CABELAS LOOKED LIKE IT HAD  BEEN THROWN OFF A MOVING UPS TRUCK. THE BOX IS PRETTY BEAT UP AND I AM HOPING THE PRODUCT IS NOT DAMAGED. I REMEMBER READING SOMEWHERE DURING MY RESEARCH THAT SOMEONE ELSE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN THEY RECEIVED THEIR SMOKER. DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS IS AN ISSUE WITH BRADLEY PACKAGING THEIR PRODUCT IN LOW GRADE CARDBOARD OR DEALERS SUCH AS CABELAS NOT TAKING CARE OF THE PRODUCT AT THEIR FACILITY. I GUESS IT IS POSSIBLE UPS COULD HAVE DAMAGED IT, BUT I HAVE RECEIVED PACKAGES FROM THEM BEFORE WITH NO PROBLEMS. ANYWAY, I HOPE EVERYTHING IS OK WITH THE UNIT BECAUSE I PLAN ON SMOKING SOME RIBS THIS WEEKEND. CAN ANYONE OFFER SOME ADVICE FOR THE NEWBIE SMOKING HIS FIRST RACK OF BABY BACK RIBS.

Gizmo

The Bradley units are pretty tough but I would agree that the distance they have to travel, they could use a lot better packaging for protection.

For Ribs,
The quick and dirty,
Season the new Bradley. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129
Remove Membrane
Rub the ribs with your favorite rub or seasonings.
Wrap tight in plastic and then in the fridge over night or at least a few hours.
Take ribs out of fridge to get to room temp while Pre-heating the Bradley on High heat.  (Take cabinet temp up to 260 deg or so).  I also turn on puck burner to pre-heat it as well.  Should have a bowl of hot water in under the burner as well.
Open vent 1/2 or so.  Load ribs then load bisquettes.  Most will go 4 hours of smoke with a spritz of apple juice on them every hour or so.  Keep the cabinet temperature around 200 degrees as measured with a digital temperature probe located near the middle of the rack near your ribs.  Don't use the built-in digital temperature guage on the DBS as the true box temperature.  To keep a 200 degree box temp, you will keep the set point high (250 to 260) during the first hour or so and then as the cabinet temperature rises, you will reduce the temperature to maintain the 200 degrees.  After 4 hours of smoke you will need another 2 hours or more of cooking without the smoke.  Meat should shrink back 1/2 inch or so from ends.  After the 4 hours of smoke, I will place my ribs in a foil pan with a little apple juice and or Jack Daniels and then cover with foil to continue the cooking.  In my opinion, this tenderizes the ribs and keeps them moist.  If using BBQ sauce, I will pull them after 2 hours in the foil, sauce them up and toss them on a very hot grill to glaze the BBQ sauce.  Just have to be carefull not to go too long in the foil lest the meat will completely fall of the bone and won't make it to the grill.

Here is a post by Consiglieri that is much more detailed than I gave. 
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5967.msg56738#msg56738

Here is a post he found on removing the membrane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks-J1pJ7xQ
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome matwell, regarding the beat up packaging, does the smoker all look ok?, are there any dents/dings inside or out?

Before using or seasoning the smoker, give it a good check over, make sure the base and the feet are all inline and ok, check the whole of the cabinet for dents etc including inside, my first BS was badly dented inside  :o

If everything looks ok, go ahead and season the smoker, the seasoning will also act as a dry run to make sure the generator and puck advance, and cabinet heating element are all working ok.  ;)

As for the ribs, Giz already has that covered

Let us know how it all goes

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

I agree with the above.  Welcome to the forum.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

Looks like your questions have been answered, so all I can add is a big welcome and enjoy!

Duster

Welcome Mattwell, Sorry to here about your smoker, Hopefully it was only the packaging that was damaged, if not I have heard that Bradley will stand behind there warranty 100% so if anything ain't Kosher give them a call. It looks like you have pretty good advice on your ribs, good luck. Oh and remember we all love pictures on here so when you do your ribs please let us all enjoy them with you.

KyNola

Welcome aboard Matwell!
You will love the DBS and this forum.

KyNola

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum, Matwell. It is nice to have you.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

Welcome, If your Smoker is not right let Bradley make it right.  You are going to have it way too long to not put your own dents in it.  ;D  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Smoked

Welcome Matwell fron another recent Bradley owner.  You came to the right place-- these guys are awesome when it comes to advice, recipes, and stuff. 

Hope all works out with your purchase-- and that the unit wasn't damaged in shipping.

Ed

La Quinta

Welcome Matwell...Bradley will make it right if you have damaged goods. Glad you joined "the family"!!

begolf25

Welcome aboard Matwell! As others have stated if there are any issues with your smoker due to damage in transit they will take care of it for you ASAP.

matwell

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT. YOUR RESPONSES ARE THE EXACT REASON I DECIDED TO PURCHASE A BRADLEY. I MANAGED TO FIND TIME TO PUT THE BRADLEY TOGETHER AND CHECK THINGS OUT. I AM PLEASED TO SAY NO DAMAGE. I PLAN ON SEASONING IT TODAY AND SMOKING SOME RIBS ASAP. THANKS AGAIN AND I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW THE RESULTS.