Best Time to Inject Turkey and Apply Paste?

Started by msu-smoker, October 30, 2007, 03:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msu-smoker

I am planning on smoking a turkey (10-12 lbs) this weekend and was curious as to when would be the best time to inject the turkey with a garlic-oil / beer mixture and apply a maple butter and herbs paste.

My plan is to brine the turkey for approx. 12 in an apple cider brine mixture.  After rinsing the turkey with cold water, I plan to let the turkey air dry in the fridge overnight.  Should I inject the turkey and apply my paste before or after I let it sit in the fridge?

Should I be concerned with brining the turkey and injecting and applying paste?  Is that too much?  I don't plan on using any salt for the injection or paste because of the brine.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

iceman

I usually brine mine then do the air dry in the fridge. Next day I shoot it up with the garlic oil mix I use then rub it down, cover it and let it sit on the counter (no more than 45 to 60 min) while the smoker warms up. I like to goof off and toss the thing in the deep fryer for 10 minutes after I pull it from the smoker. Makes a killer crunchy skin that way. Or toss it in the oven for 30 min if you what crisper skin. Heck it's all good.  :D ;)

Habanero Smoker

Sounds good. Just want to add, that you should keep the vent about 3/4 open when you smoke poultry with skin on to make sure that most of the moisture escapes the cabinet. Build up moisture in the cabinet will make the skin texture worse. You may be tempted to close the vent to get the cabinet to warm up, but closing the vent (besides building up moisture), will keep the temperature down. If there is too much moisture in the cabinet you will loose a lot of heat, because a lot of the energy will be used to convert water into steam. Also if you have the OBS, when moisture builds up liquid will run out the bottom, and may get into the electrical circuit that operates your temperature control.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

msu-smoker

Thanks for the advice.  I could not find a "fresh" turkey anywhere around me.  I wound up purchasing an "enhanced" turkey that has been injected.  Because of that, I am not going to brine.  After it thaws, I will still inject some flavor, add a rub, then place in smoker.

Have y'all ever wrapped a turkey in bacon to smoke it?  Also, any difference between smoking the turkey laying down or should I use a stand?

Malc

4:32 and 27 seconds...exactly.  Sorry, had to do it. ;D
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

iceman

Quote from: Malc on November 01, 2007, 08:49:50 AM
4:32 and 27 seconds...exactly.  Sorry, had to do it. ;D
Malc you crack me up buddy.  :D

I'd just lay it down breast side up. Be careful when you pull it out of the smoker because you'll have a cavity full of HOT liquid in there. Man when that hits you you'll do a rain dance like never before!!! :o :D ;)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on November 01, 2007, 10:29:02 AM

I'd just lay it down breast side up. Be careful when you pull it out of the smoker because you'll have a cavity full of HOT liquid in there. Man when that hits you you'll do a rain dance like never before!!! :o :D ;)

So true! :D

As to wrapping the turkey in bacon, I think I must be the only person on earth that cannot stand the combination of bacon with turkey or chicken.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)