24hr Brisket

Started by Scotty-G, November 04, 2007, 09:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Yesterday morning, I put two full briskets (~29 lbs total) into the OBS with 5 hrs of mesquite and the PID set for 210F.
Here I am at the 24 hr mark and the IT of the bottom tray (flat) and top tray (point) are both at 151F.
Most of my other briskets (typically I do 2 at a time) take about 16-18 hrs before I FTC.
Now it's just time for the waiting game . . .

Scotty-G

Wildcat

Mine always take 18 to 24 hours.  Of course I smoke/cook at around 200.  I have not done one that large yet, but will soon to take to family over Thanksgiving.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

nice big load.   ;) Still have a good period of plateau to go looks like.  did you seperate the point and flats?  29 pounds full briskets = a long time at 1 to 1.5 hours per pound.

The trimed up flats will often come out sooner if they are seperate. :) I will usually put the flats in on the lower racks. The points up high with both pretty well trimmed. Helps keep things to a weekend kind of smoker that i am.

Anyway Gizmo and others like to boat briskets and finish them in the oven.  He has posted great results and i think shorter times with this approach.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Scotty-G

At about 26 hrs now - 163 IT

Separated flats and points.  Top down have smallest point with temp probe, then 2nd point.  Then smallest Flat and largest Flat on bottom with temp probe.  At 8 hr point did rotation of points as well as flats.  At  19 hr point did rotation of points as well as flats again.

PID is registering 184, working towards 210.

More as time passes ever so slowly.  Once I hit 180-185 will pull and FTC.

West Coast Kansan

Will stay tuned, do we get photos?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

owrstrich

im thinking you are going to end up with some awesome chopped bovine from the ends and some awesome sliced bovine from the rest... you just gotts to wait...

i really dig the brisket... i can say gizzerdmos brisket... the boated style... is better than anything i have done... my next brisket effort will be boated for sure...

i think the select will take longer to cook and its not as juicy as the choice no matter what you do to it... i stopped smoking the select brisket for that reason... i will wait on choice for slicing or i wont do it at all...

somewhere the gizzerdmo posted about the relevance of internal temp compared to the box temp and the effect on the quality of the finished bovine... so there you go g... you just gotts to wait...

crazy aint it...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

hillbillysmoker

Hang in there....the best is yet to come.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Scotty-G

29 hrs and the flats are 180 and points are 178.

And starting the clean up

The points will be pulled at 190.

Gizmo

Scotty,
Can't wait to see the slices.
Cool looking soap pattern as well.  :P
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Scotty-G

FTCd the flats for about 2 hrs and then sliced.

Can we say CARDBOARD  :(  >:( :(  unworthy of a picture

32 hrs on the points.  FTC for 2 hrs and then chopped.

Quite dry too.    :( :(  also unworthy of a bad picture

Took a good chunk and tried to salvage.

Chopped it up and added mustard based BBQ sauce, red beans, beef stock and veggies and made a
Brisket Chili type soup (served over rice).
It was quite good so the remaining cardboard brisket is vacuum sealed and in the deep freeze to be used in other experimental type of endeavors.

Thoughts for the next time:
    Higher box temp with so much meat
    More apple juice

Gizmo

Wrapping in foil or boating with a foil lid has been my staple for keeping the brisket innards dripping wet.  Meat probes may have been in a large fat pocket and therefore reading lower than actual meat temp.  With the exceptionally long cook time, maybe too low and too slow.

Looks like you are recovering well with your alternative uses.   ;)
A new recipe is born, and as I have said a few times in the past, you might want to think of it as you did not make a mistake, just made a recipe you might not want to repeat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

owrstrich

im thinking either the box temp probe was not right or the meat temp probe was not right...

i generally smoke full boxes... something on all four racks and generally end up with about 32 pounds of beast on the racks which means very long smokes... i have had the 24 hours brisket smokes... but nothing like you described...

im thinking the temp measurement devices are whacked...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

iceman

Like O said I've had 24 hr smokes before but I've had 50 plus pounds in the big smoker. Temps or temp probe way wrong or like Giz said a fat pocket maybe?
Hmmmm.... time to get some brisket and do some R & D for you.  ;)

KyNola

Scotty,
Sorry they didn't turn out exactly as you hoped.  I mean absolutely no disrespect to you Scotty but I noticed one thing in your photos I want to ask the users who are much more experienced than me about.  It looks as though you have bricks for heat retention sitting on top of the V tray.  It looks as though nearly half of the surface of the tray is covered by the two bricks.  My question is with approximately 50% of the tray and its vents covered, could that have anything to do with issue Scotty had?  ???

KyNola