Smoked turkey breast

Started by Stickbowcrafter, November 07, 2007, 11:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

Sam's Club had 5 pound frozen turkey breasts for under $5. I picked one up and defrosted it in the fridge for a few days. Coated it with a little vegetable oil and rubbed it down with some kosher salt, black pepper, brown sugar, a little cayenne pepper and some paprika.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

I left the turkey breast absorb the rub over night in the fridge. Placed it in my 250 degree OBS with 6 cherry bisquettes. It only took a few hours to reach an internal temp of 165 degrees. You don't want it to go to 180 degrees in the smoker, take it out at 165 and wrap it in foil. It will finish cooking while it rests for 15-20 minutes in the foil.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

5 pounds of lunch meat for less than $5. Sure beats $5 a pound the market charges...

-Brian

iceman

Now that's the way to go Stickbow!!!
Bet it tastes a whole lot better than deli meat too! :P
Good job. ;)

hillbillysmoker

Great looking results. Nice Qview also. Thanks for sharing.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

WOW does that look great...I'm going to check Costco and see if they have the same deal!! Been wanting to try a turkey breast for some time..Thanks!!

Duster

Brian that looks awesome

just a couple of questions though, was that a turkey breast or a boneless skinless turkey roast? also how well did it do for moisture without a brine?

Habanero Smoker

Looks nice. If I am only cooking the breast I will only take it up to 152°F-155°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LilSmoker

Looks very tasty Brian, is it nice and moist?, it looks like it is in the pics
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Ontrack

Looks great Brian, now I have to add that to the ever-growing smoke list!

Wildcat

I've done several of those breasts, but yours looks and sounds even better.  Next one will have the same rub as yours.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Stickbowcrafter

Thanks everyone. It's a Honeysuckle white boneless turkey breast. As you can see in the picture on the cutting board, the juice is on the board. And in the second picture, the juice is rolling out of the temperature probe hole. The meat was very moist and tender (and delicious). That's why I mentioned to not leave it in the pit beyond 165 degrees.

-Brian

sherlock

This damn smoking is becoming addictive.

Now I want to do this.

Last time I used a rub, I used WAY too much and the result was not fit for human consumption. It had a LOT of cayenne pepper in it and it destroyed my taste buds for 24 hours.

What are the approximate amounts used for one breast?

Thanks

Ontrack

Brian-I have two 3# Butterball boneless turkey breasts thawing right now. I fell in love with your turkey pics and plan on using your EXACT recipe above. Anything at all you would change about it, or would you do it exactly as you did this time? Oh, I only have apple and hickory left-what would you do there?
Thanks.

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Ontrack on November 09, 2007, 01:15:35 PM
Oh, I only have apple and hickory left-what would you do there?
Thanks.

Send your name and address to Tiny Tim, along with an order requesting a 120 of Mesquite......

;D ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding, saw the opportunity and went for it.  Do have an hour to get it out today though.