Smoked turkey breast

Started by Stickbowcrafter, November 07, 2007, 11:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

I didn't measure this one out exactly but my standard dry rubs for something like this would be:

3 Tbs Kosher salt (I used the coarse stuff on this one because it's what I had on hand)
2 Tbs brown sugar (light or dark, doesn't matter)
1 Tbs ground black pepper
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper

I wouldn't do anything different. I've done a few like this and each one has been great. If you only have apple and hickory, use the apple. Fruit wood smoke lends itself nicely to poultry. Let us know how it turns out.

-Brian

Ontrack

Brian, Thanks buddy, I'll let you know on Sunday.

Ontrack

Juicy, tender,a little spicier than I was expecting (which is fine)...delicious! Brian, I followed your recipe to a tee, except used apple. And, I used Butterballs instead of Honeysuckle. I actually like the Honeysuckle turkeys better, but our Walmart was sold out of the breasts. But it was a great meal, and I have plenty of leftovers to munch on this week. Thanks very much for posting yours, because that's the only reason I did mine!

Stickbowcrafter

Great to hear! Glad it worked out.

-Brian

Ontrack

2 people-6 lbs of turkey breast-3 days-GONE! Great as a meal or snack, and so easy to do. This will definately be on my "frequent" list!

iceman

Last night someone broke into my house and stole the rest of my turkey breast. I smoked it like stickbow and had it for dinner. I called Ann at work to tell her about the thief and she laughed and hung up on me??? Hmmmm...... Strange things happen in the frozen north!!! :D ;)

Wildcat

;D Did she happen to see some of your posts last night?  :D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

wbrannon

I go out after Thanksgiving on "Black Friday" and buy fresh turkey breasts to smoke. Been doing this for more than 20 years and this year I found fresh ones for $.79/pound US. Today I am smoking the last of 30 breasts. I can do 10 at a time using two bradleys. One is my first bradley used about 8 years and I have refurbished it with parts from bradley. I also have a 6 rack digital. So 4 in the original and 6 in the year old digital. There is a debate about brining first. I did this year try an objective approach. I brined two and did 2 without brining. I took them to the family Thanksgiving dinner and asked if those gorumands present could tell the difference. The only difference noted was that the brined had a more salty flavor. Thus I am not sure the outcome is worth the effort. I have similar feelings about injecting.
A question for the readers. I have difficulty getting the temperature to rise in the smoker. With 25 pounds of Turkey breast in the smoker and the temp on smoker set for 240 F. I can get only about 172 F inside when the ambient temp is in the mid 50's as it is now. Has anyone used any outside insulation around the oven or does anyone have a more powerful heating element- I think 1200 Watts would be ideal.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Wbrannon;
Welcome to the forum.

There was a recent post in which a member was going to use a water heater blanket to insulate the cabinet. If you do a search you will find that several members have added additional heating elements.

With poultry that has skin, it is best to open the vent about 3/4 open. Poultry skin has a lot of moisture, and if that moisture is allowed to build up in the cabinet it will keep the temperature down, and with your original smoker moisture can drip from the bottom of the door and may harm the electrical circuits of your rheostat. Today most turkey breasts are already brined, so if they were already injected with a brine solution then I would suspect the only difference would be that the ones your brined would be more salty. I am beginning to see turkey breasts (Shadybrook brand) that is only injected with water, these breasts would probably benefit from brining.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stickbowcrafter

Crank the heat to max and let the smoker get to max temp before adding the meat then adjust your temp accordingly.

-Brian

hammy

I bought two five# honeysuckle breasts at Sams Club tonight have them thawing planning to rub them Monday and smoke them Tuesday. I only have hickory and alder; should I get somethng different or can I use either of these???

La Quinta

If you like a pleasent (yet sturdy)  smoke use Hickory...it's probably what you are somewhat used to tasting (I assume) if ya wanna go crazy...I think there is a guy in Texas who may waaaayyy in on the choice!!! It really does depend on your tastebuds.  :)

Habanero Smoker

Hickory should be good. Brian recommends cherry, for myself I like maple, apple or pecan for turkey.

Here is Brian's complete recipe.

Smoked Boneless Turkey Breast

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

westexasmoker

Quote from: La Quinta on November 21, 2008, 07:44:57 PM
If you like a pleasent (yet sturdy)  smoke use Hickory...it's probably what you are somewhat used to tasting (I assume) if ya wanna go crazy...I think there is a guy in Texas who may waaaayyy in on the choice!!! It really does depend on your tastebuds.  :)

I didn't say anything!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!