Smoked turkey breast

Started by Stickbowcrafter, November 07, 2007, 11:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

And I was shocked WTS...appreciate the restraint!!!  ;D

hammy

thanks, rubbing today, smoking tomorrow....I might go get maple that sounds good.....no offense meant there westexasmoker

KyNola

I have two weighing in at 4.75 lbs each thawing in the frig.  Will rub on Wednesday and smoke Thursday morning.  Looking forward to those!  Also have 4 pork tenderloins that I am going to rub with olive oil that has had fresh rosemary and whole garlic cloves steeped in it, sprinkled with a little Cavendar's Greek Seasoning and into the smoker with the turkey breasts.

KyNola

Father Tom

Turkey Breast looks great.  Just finished Yesterday a 13 # turkey, 8 # Pork Butt (Backboard Bacon) and 4# Pork bacon slab.  All turned out great.  New to the forum but will send photo's on nex patch.

Mr Walleye

Hi Father Tom and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you hit the ground running!

Keep up the great work!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Father Tom

Thanks Walley:
Been smoking for years (Did not inhale). Texas smokers, Little chef and now the Original Bradley.  I normally use recipes from "Great Sausage Recipes", "ChaRcuteRie"  "Smoke & spece" or Burce Adidells "Complete Sausage Book" plus a few others.  Even a few from this site. 

Mr Walleye

All great books for sure FT!  ;)

Don't be a stranger around forum. The more the merrier!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Father Tom

Thanks Mike

Now that i am retired (14 years ago) i hope to get more time to log on.  I note that you are spread around most if now all of the forum.  Will try and keep up.

Tom

La Quinta

Welcome Father Tom...WOW when you smoke...YOU SMOKE...lotta food there...very kool!! Glad to have you on board... :)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Father Tom!

Sounds like you have this smokin' thing figured out.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Stitches040

Thanks for all the info guys .... I will post a full thread later, but for Thanksgiving I smoked a 14# Turkey that turned out Fantastic !!!!!  The FTC menthod, though I was skeptical at first, I am now a tried and true believer in the FTC.  Holy crap was that some good turkey.

Only problem, I think I hot smoked for too long ... 10 briquettes total ... 5 Pecan and 5 Apple ... But still a quality tasting product, just a little overpowering on the smoke flavor ...

Thanks again to all the members of this Forum, for posting up the "Secrets" to some fine smoking!!!!!

Shuan ....

Smoking Duck

Yea, poultry will really soak up the smoke...I try to keep it as light as possible with the wood on a bird.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

ColoradoSmoker

Just wondering about how long it took to smoke/cook?  I'm planning on giving it a try in a couple of days, but would like to have a general idea on when it could be done.  It's my first time.  I was going to use a brine but from the comments it sounds like your rub may be the way to go.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum ColoradoSmoker!

I would figure 3-4 hours for a Turkey Breast, but I would cook it until the internal temp was at least 160-165F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ColoradoSmoker

Wow.  I smoked a 6lb. turkey breast yesterday and that was the best turkey I have ever tasted.  I let the rub sit overnight and smoked the turkey with 6 cherry bisquettes.  The cooking/smoking time was about 3 1/2 hours until the IT was about 170.  The only thing I did differently was I placed four slices of thick bacon on the rack above the turkey so it could drip down on the turkey.  Not sure how much flavor it added, but the bacon was an awesome appetizer.  Best bacon I ever tasted.  The only thing I noticed was that after preheating the smoker to 250 and then putting the turkey and bacon in it never again reached that temperature.  Towards the end it was about 220.  I wasn't really concerned though since I figured worse case I could pop it in the oven to finish it off, but after 3 1/2 hours it was done.  Very juicy and a lot of flavor, but not overly smokey.  Now I need to decide on what I want to smoke next - probably salmon.