Which type of stuffer?

Started by Scotty-G, November 10, 2007, 09:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I gave this alot of thought too. I finally decided on the Cabelas 11 lb stuffer for the following reasons...

- Size, I felt more often then not I will usually be doing 5 to 10 lbs at a time. I did a fair amount of research an most people reported that what ever size they bought the stuffer didn't quit hold that amount. For an example alot of people said they couldn't get 5 lbs in a 5 lb stuffer.

- As Sherlock indicated having the 2 speeds, 1 down and a faster speed going up.

- A number of the cheaper 5 lb stuffers have plastic gears. Although there seems to be very few who have had trouble but some have just the same.

- I also wanted something that I would be able to get parts for in the event something broke.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

novicestuffer

I also have tried stuffer attachments to both manual and electric grinders, with electric being easier than manual.  I just borrowed a 5# vertical from a friend of mine, and it worked so much better, I am going to buy one soon.  The cost difference between a 5# and a larger one determined my choice because I only make sausage maybe twice a  year. 

The one I borrowed did not have an air relief valve and the gasket was worn, so before I return it I ordered a new gasket from LEMproducts.  I was also thinking of getting a new piston w/air valve for my friend but LEM representative told me I could order just the valve and drill my own hole cheaper, so that is what I did.  So, if you have one of the older stuffers without the air valve, you can order either a new piston with this in it OR order just the valve.

pensrock

It's hard for me to vote because I have only used the vertical type stuffers. I have found no reason to try another. We used to use an old 10 pound cast iron stuffer my Uncle has, I cannot tell you how many pounds of sausage has been run through that stuffer, we have used it for 40+ years and his father used it before that. A few years ago I decided to get my own so I would not have to borrow that one everytime I decided to make something. I found an old cast iron stuffer just like my Uncles but it is a 15 pounder. I just love it. We did try to use an electric grinder one time but it did not work very well.

NePaSmoKer

Have a #5 vertical, Cabelas 1hp and 1.5hp, but my favorite to use is my Dakotah water stuffer  ;D

nepas

Jimbo

I got the 5lb vert. stuffer from Grizzly and unpacked it yesterday to notice the plastic gear on the plunger is cracked from the top to the bottom.  So its going back.  I guess I'll have to spend some extra money and get something a little better made.

Mr Walleye

Jimbo

Nothing more disappointing than something like that. Yup, send her back and move on. I can't count the times that sort of thing has happened to me. Maybe it's a sign you'd be happy with a different stuffer.

After this wait (backordered) I hope my 11 lb Cabelas doesn't come damaged...  ::)

Mike

msao

i also have a cabela's 11lb stuffer with motor it is great one person job and very smoth.

Mr Walleye

That's Good to hear Msao and welome to the forum. I thought about ordering  the motor from Weston. They have reconditioned ones for $139.

Mike

coyote

I use the 11p Cabela's vertical stuffer , without the motor........my son makes up for it. ;D
works great for us.                                     
                                                                                           Coyote