Saving and Reheating Pork Butt

Started by msu-smoker, November 11, 2007, 07:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msu-smoker

O.k., once again I am in need of some assistance.  I have searched previous posts and be unable to find a clear answer or discussion on saving and reheating.

Based on the success of past pork butts, I have been asked to smoke some pulled pork for family that will be in town during Thanksgiving (45 people).  In an effort to help reduce stress on me with regards to timing, I am planning on smoking 3 - 4 butts on Saturday for us to eat on Wed.

My questions are:

1.  Depending on size, should approximately 4 butts (at about 9 lbs. each) be enough?

2.  What is the best way to save the butts if you are cooking a few days in advance?  Fridge or Freezer?  Do you pull the meat prior to placing in fridge or freezer? 

3.  What is the best way to reheat for serving?

As always, everyone's thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Wildcat

45 people!  :o I do not have that many fingers and toes!

The best way I have found to store butts prepared ahead of time is to vacuum seal after pulling and then either freeze or fridge (depending how far in advance).  To reheat all you have to do is place bag(s) in boiling water for awhile and the taste will be like it just came out of the smoker.  In the fridge you will find that the smoke will permeate throughout the meat.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

begolf25

MSU,

1. I am not very good at giving out amounts but there are plenty here that can give you this info.

2. If I am going to be reheating the pork within one week I will vacuum seal in the FoodSaver then put into fridge. If it is longer then a week it goes into the freezer.

3. I reheat my pork by placing it in a crock pot. I also add a little apple juice or Vaunted Vinegar Sauce to keep the meat moist. I also like using the crock pot method because it will keep the pork hot if you are eating throughout the day.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

Consiglieri

As for your quantities, 36 lbs is .8 lbs per person, pre-cook weight.  I think that's probably more than enough for your crowd, even if all 45 are adults.  With that weight, I bet you could do an overnight smoke and pull the meat at dinnertime on Wednesday.  Here's icerat4's method for overnight pork butt (which works very well):  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4528.msg39690#msg39690 .  If you use that method, and rotate your racks top to bottom, I bet the meat doesn't get done until about 3pm next day, leaving you some FTC time to finish the meat.  Good luck with the project and  please post pictures.   

Crock pot method is a great way of serving the stuff throughout the day (like Superbowl Sunday).

I had one misfire with the vacuum sealed/boiling water reheat method though.  I put a frozen batch into the pan of water and the seal failed on one side.  Maybe the seal was faulty.  Anyone else had that trouble?  Should I have defrosted the meat first before attempting to reheat?

Cheers.
Consiglieri

Duster

QuoteI have been asked to smoke some pulled pork for family that will be in town during Thanksgiving (45 people). 

I thought I had a large group coming for Thanksgiving :)WOW

Quoteshould approximately 4 butts (at about 9 lbs. each) be enough?
Well that would be enough for me but I ain't sure what everybody else is gonna eat ;D
OK seriously though 36 lbs is a a plate full but when you think of the number of people coming and if they devour pulled pork like my family then, well everybody should get a some but I would fix something else to go with it.
QuoteWhat is the best way to save the butts if you are cooking a few days in advance?  Fridge or Freezer? What is the best way to reheat for serving?
I would rather see you put it in the fridge instead if time allows. Go ahead and pull the pork like normal, bag up or vacuum seal your pulled pork dry, and when you reheat add some sauce to it and place it in the crock pot like the others mentioned. This works well but unfortunately if you don't add sauce then it tends to dry out. I like my pulled pork fresh and dry, but in your case wet and reheated is still good.

LilSmoker

Hi msu-smoker, i would say go with 5 butts to be on the safe side?, you can always freeze any excess pork, so it won't get wasted, and maybe some of the guests will want seconds?

As for saving, if you can, it would probably be better just vacuumed and fridged, otherwise vacuum the pulled pork, adding some sauce/juice etc, then freeze.

To reheat, as Wildcat says, you can either boil in the bag, or nuke in the micowave, the pork will be fine like this and won't suffer any loss in taste texture etc, and as Consiglieri says the crockpot method works great too  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

You should figure you will loose 35% -40% in weight after the pork has been smoked/cooked. If you are serving this as part of the Thanksgiving Day meal then figure 4 ounces per person should be plenty, and children will generally eat less. So 36 pound should be plenty, with  some left overs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

msu-smoker

thanks for the good advice.  I picked up one of those new Reynolds Handi-Vacs at Walmart along with some gallon size ziplock bags.http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchens/handi_vac/en/home.asp

As of now, my plan is to pull the pork once the butts have cooked, vaccum seal them, and place them in the fridge (since it will only be from Sunday to Wed.)

Instead of using a crock pot, what do y'all think about placing the pork in an aluminum dish/try, pour some apple juice in, cover, and reheat in oven at low temp?  The main reason for not considering the crock is the fact that I don't like my pulled pork slathered in sauce.

begolf25

Quote from: msu-smoker on November 12, 2007, 06:29:45 AM
Instead of using a crock pot, what do y'all think about placing the pork in an aluminum dish/try, pour some apple juice in, cover, and reheat in oven at low temp?  The main reason for not considering the crock is the fact that I don't like my pulled pork slathered in sauce.

I am sure that method would work very well. I have never had a problem with the pork drying out using a crock pot and adding some apple juice. Most of the time it actually turns out very moist for me.

Wildcat

Quote from: msu-smoker on November 12, 2007, 06:29:45 AM
The main reason for not considering the crock is the fact that I don't like my pulled pork slathered in sauce.

This is why I like to vac seal and put in boiling water to re-heat.  I eat some with sauce and some without.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I generally reheat mine in an aluminum pan. As you stated, add a small amount of liquid; vaunted vinegar or apple juice. Seal tightly with aluminum foil, and place in a preheated 325°F - 350°F.

I finally purchase a crock pot, and with a crock pot you do not have to slather it with sauce. With a crock pot you need very little liquid to reheat the pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

LilSmoker

QuoteI finally purchase a crock pot, and with a crock pot you do not have to slather it with sauce. With a crock pot you need very little liquid to reheat the pork.

Yeah i have to agree Habs, crock pot is great for heating pulled pork, i sometimes put ribs in with just a splash of apple juice, if we're not quite ready to eat, by time i get the ribs out of the pot, they're very tender and moist  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

iceman

What a crock you guys  :D ;)
They sure come in handy during the week for me and Ann.
We found out if you toss 4 or so potatoes of good size in the thing when you go to work, by the time you get home you have baked taters!!! Neat. :P :)
Another trick is to cut up some pork butt into 2 inch chunks and lightly dust them with Oink'r rub then toss them in on low and let it go all day. (Don't add any liquid). When it's done you just shred it up and toss in a tortilla with fixings and you have dinner.  ;D

Habanero Smoker

I can see that my crock pot is going to get plenty of use.

Edited: I must have left the "r" out of crock on my original post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Quotecrock pot is great for heating pulled pork

What model did you get LS? My slow cooker has seen better days and is in need of replacement.

Manxman