New to this forum and smoking Wahoo

Started by day tripper, November 15, 2007, 03:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

day tripper

Hello all: This is a cool site and I look forward to learning about the smoking process.
My question is I'm ready to smoke some Fresh Wahoo. I brined it overnight and the smoker is ready to go I have a Bradley electric smoker. How long would you smoke the fish and at what temp ?They are 1-1 1/2 inches thick. I'm using alder chips. After the smoking is complete how long can I keep the fish? Will vacuum sealing extend the time I can keep the fish

Thanks

Tim 

manxman

Welcome to the forum day tripper.

All depends on what you want to do?  ......... cold smoking which applies smoke only or hot smoking which applies smoke and heat, the latter being cooked in the process as well.

I have both hot and cold smoked fish, vacuum packing will extend the time it will keep in both the fridge and the freezer although if likely to be kept for more than a couple of days I would freeze in any case.  ;)

Don't know anything about Wahoo though, what's the flesh like?

Manxman

day tripper

Manxman:
The fish is a dense mild white meat that has the texture of tuna.  It is very good grilled but I wanted to try smoking Thanks for the reply

3rensho

Sounds like a great fish to eat.  Given your description of the flesh I would brine the fillets and then cold smoke them.  Then a quick grill or rapidly thru a skillet.  I think I'd also use some for ceviche - sounds like it's made to order for that.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

manxman

QuoteI would brine the fillets and then cold smoke them.

That's my thinking too, I tend to cold smoke (typically less than 80F) fish fillets for up to 8 hours as I like quite a strong smokey flavour but I would start with a couple of hours smoke first time and adjust accordingly from there.

If you have the original Bradley Smoker this is a good way to go:

http://www.foodsmoker.co.uk/equipment/bradleycold.htm

You need a longer power cord to modify a digital model for this process, which model do you have?
Manxman