prime rib roast

Started by dakota57006, November 10, 2007, 04:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakota57006

Has anyone tried smoking a prime rib roast, bone-in?  Just wondering about the wood and what temperature for the oven and internal meat temp is best.

Consiglieri

Consiglieri

dakota57006

After reading all that, I am more confused than before.  If I have this right I want to heat up the BS as high as it will go, smoke around 3 hours and take out with an internal temp of 130.  I can then grill or FTC after that?  I like my rib medium rare so I'm not sure what to do after I hit 130.  Do I need to wet FTC?  Can I just let it cook in the BS?

Thanks for the help.

Consiglieri

yeah, I had that "too much information" problem too.  I FTC'ed the meat last time and the flavor was great but the FTC moisture will soften any crust.  If you like the crust I wouldn't FTC.

With the bradley, you'll have difficulty cooking at high heat.  I could not get the box temp over 240F at this time of the year.  Next time I do this project, I'll use the bradley for smoke application only and then apply a "high heat"  sear (for 20 minutes) on the grill or in the oven to get a crust, and then finish on a grill or in the oven at about 400F.  Pull the meat out at 130 - 135 (depending on how done I want the meat), and then rest covered in foil. 

I prepared some seasoned beef broth to use as an au jus (doctored with worchestershire, pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning) to accompany the meat.  But that stuff is also a useful tool for serving people who like their meat more done (thanks for posting this tip Olds).  Dip a slice in the juice for a couple of seconds and the meat will darken, appearing more done, but without losing that medium-rare tenderness or flavor.

Good luck and send samples!
Consiglieri

Tiny Tim

I've never had Prime Rib with a crust on it, so I'd just do low temp, full time in the smoker (only smoke 2-4 hours though, then get the doneness where you want it).