maverick et-73

Started by matwell, November 13, 2007, 12:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matwell

Hello All
I have been doing some research regarding the Maverick ET 73 and have discovered several complaints about the probes needing replacement due to contact with small amounts of liquid. Users have claimed they had to replace several probes just from spritzing their ribs or meat with some apple juice. Has anyone on this forum had similar problems or is this just an exaggeration? Thanks

Wildcat

I guess it is possible.  I have not had that problem myself and I spritz all the time.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

begolf25

Never had a problem with failure due to liquid.

I did fry my cabinet temp probe by using it in my grill and it got way too hot. Operator error caused my problem, not the product.

aha638

I use two ET-73 when I smoke my meat loafs (6 loafs at a time).  I always make sure there the probes are inserted going "up-hill" so any moisture, or fat will not enter the probe.  Have never had a problem.  I might add that the 6-foot cabled probes give a lot more flexibility.  I remember some time back someone mentioned he immersed his probed in hot oil to help "seal" the cable end of the probe.

Al

LilSmoker

I've never had issues of this kind with my Maverick, the only thing i ever had problems with, was the range of the unit, it was very limited, but i modded the antenna, and it works great now, even through walls!  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Ontrack

No problems here either. I've only had mine since early August, but at least 2 or 3 smokes per week with no problems (knock on wood). In fact, I am happy with the range-I can use it anywhere without problems unless the batteries start to get weak.

iceman

Never had that problem. Just make sure if you spritz you don't shoot directly at the probe. I did put a piece of heat shrink on 2 of my probes where the cable meets the probe just to see if it would keep moisture out. Can't say if it was better or not because all 4 probes are still working alright. Maybe time will be the test.

Mr Walleye

I think the biggest thing is when cleaning the probes, don't submerge them in water. I did destroy one that way, although it wasn't my ET73.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LilSmoker

Yeah i agree Mike, i think the liquid getting into the probe is what does the damage.

As soon as i'm finished using mine, i wipe the probes, with a damp cloth with some bleach added, it cleans them really well, and kills any germs that may have collected  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Gizmo

First of all, the maverick, or any other probe is nearly a must have when doing butts, briskets, chicken, and other meats that probes can fit into.  The probe is more efficient at keeping an eye on the Internal Temperature and does not require the opening of the cabinet which lets out heat.

I have had a maverick ET73 for some time now (purchased earlier this year).  It is a great device as it has 2 probes, one for the cabinet and one for the box.  It is also a remote device so the readout can be away from the immediate area but has a very limited range out of the box.

Here are the bad points.
In my opinion, almost all digital probes connected with a cable are susceptable to going bad with direct exposure to moisture at the cable end or excessive movement and twisting of the cable.

All probes (that I know of) with cables are not high quality and the actual sensor is not located at the very tip, it could be 1/2 inch or so from the end.  In this, I refer to the quality of the probe (and calibration) of the Thermopen as a very good quality probe (but it is not remote).

The Maverick has a short range and is shorter than advertised.  The range can be extended by a modification.  You can find posts on this board referencing the location to the instructions on the simple modification to add a wire antenna.

The On-Off switch on the Maverick is quite delicate.  I knew before buying one and thought I was being carefull enough, but the switch stem broke after several uses anyway.  I just leave the switch in the on position (used a long, skinny sharp object to move the switch to the on position) and now just pull the battery out when not in use.

Unless someone can find one with more range and a more rugged switch, with the same features, I would buy another one.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

matwell

Thanks Guys. All of your responses have been extremely helpful and I have decided to order one. At that price it is certainly worth a shot.

hillbillysmoker

I have never had a probe problem either, but please don't believe the 100ft. claim for the remote. I am lucky to get 20 feet.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

iceman

Quote from: hillbillysmoker on November 15, 2007, 03:44:33 PM
I have never had a probe problem either, but please don't believe the 100ft. claim for the remote. I am lucky to get 20 feet.
Did you do the modification to yours hillbilly? I was lucky to get through 1 wall before (10 feet). Now I get all the way across the street (200 feet).

Smoked

For those of you that modded your antenna, what is involved-- or is there a link you can reference?  Sounds like something worth doing.  No prob's yet with the Maverick, but I haven't really tested its range either.  Thanks!

Ed

Mr Walleye