Good Chart for Meat Temps

Started by nsxbill, November 04, 2004, 09:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

Thought this was a pretty good chart for those of us really watching the temps on what they cook.
http://www.bbqgalore.com/backyard/cookingtips/cookingtemps.bbq

Happy smoking youz guys!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

Thanks Bill, printed it & stuck it in the recipe collection.[:)]

It seems to be a pretty good guide but they're still covering their butts from fear of lawsuit IMHO.

If you ever cooked my pork loin to 160F, I'd slap you silly![:D]

And, no good butt comes off before it's at least 185F.[;)]

Beef, if you take it to 135F, will be 145F before you serve it.

Just remember, IT is the ultimate control, but you do have to allow for a 10-15 minute rest until you serve, in which time it may rise dramatically. Also, their times do not take into any consideration as to the size of the smoker, nor how many pounds you're cooking. That is why IT is so important.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />If you ever cooked my pork loin to 160F, I'd slap you silly![:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
LOL[:)][:)][:)]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Habanero Smoker

I usually don't post on food temperature, because I know my internal meat temperatures would be very controversial on this forum. Going against my better judgment; I only bring my pulled pork to 165 degrees (after sitting it will come up to 170), and it comes out good, and pulls easily. The people from CIA converted me on meat temperature. I would not have believed it if I had not tasted it first.

They also say that poultry should be brought up to 165 degrees thigh temperature. But I have not been able to find that in any other guide lines.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

I am a 165deg guy for poultry.  I  have seen it used to many times.  I was watching "Good Eats" last night aboout fried chicken.  He stated his temps were 165 for breasts and 175 for thighs.  Typically I set my alarm to 167/  I don't do the doulble wrap-towl thing but I do wrap them in foil till I ready to use the bird.  Just my thoughts.

I know these charts are designed for the to keep everyone and every type of meat happy, no matter who you are, or how well or poorly you have treated said meat.  To me, IMHO, just don't be stupid with the care of your meat.  Get it as fresh as you can and don't expose it to unreasonable temps doing preperation or thawing.  Just my thoughts.

Does anyone know the TRUE TEMP on when the little germmies die in poultry???  Is it the same as beef and pork??

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

The following quote is from the USDA website:

<b>Foodborne Organisms Associated with Chicken</b>
<i>"As on any perishable meat, fish or poultry, bacteria can be found on raw or undercooked chicken. They multiply rapidly at temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F (out of refrigeration and before thorough cooking occurs). Freezing doesn't kill bacteria but they are destroyed by thorough cooking of any food to 160 °F."</i> http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Chicken_Food_Safety_Focus/index.asp . You'll find the quote about half way down the page. Other sources state that this temperature must be kept at this minimum temperature for at least 15 seconds, other sources state to bring it to 165 degrees, this temperature also applies to reheating food.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)